pigeons this morning

mrpip

After two unsuccessful attempts at decoying this week on maize stubble, loads of pigeon in the area, also about 400 acres of maize stubble scattered over a 5 mile area & with a wet morning forecast decided to go at first light to one of the woods. The flocks are massive been over 1000 +, but will not commit to one field, or the decoys for that matter, worst than shooting over winter rape. My thoughts to warm to much choice not hungry enough, doesn’t take em long to fill up on high protein maize should pick up when some gets ploughed in & we get a few frosts. Had some shooting picked up 15 using 32 gram steel 4s & 5s mixed wanted some for the hawk man. Few pics of the morning the one jumping the rabbit netting was staged didn’t turn out bad in my opinion,(but I’m biased)post-13005-0-39980100-1320412596.jpg post-13005-0-24316900-1320412621.jpg post-13005-0-10310600-1320412641.jpg

They're not easy to decoy when they are in big flocks. Put as many decoys down as you can get your hands on, rotary, bouncers, flappers etc. It's the time of year I think they whole kit gets put out in my opinion, unlike the summer when half a dozen shells can easily produce a great day.

Nice looking Lab, love the last shot!

They're not easy to decoy when they are in big flocks. Put as many decoys down as you can get your hands on, rotary, bouncers, flappers etc. It's the time of year I think they whole kit gets put out in my opinion, unlike the summer when half a dozen shells can easily produce a great day.

Nice looking Lab, love the last shot!

cheers, been shooting this area for years, know the flight lines from the roosts, done the recon, had brilliant days in previous years on maize. This year its in early & theres alot more of it, weathers all over the place, combining last week shooting bolting rabbits in shirt sleeves. Went to a field Tuesday 500 plus feeding early morning, went back Wednesday set up for first light shot 2 never saw more than a dozen over field all morning, had a look around found 2 flocks just flighting would not settle, walk em off the field they just move to another area. Different area same story Thursday, it will get better when the weather turns, shot 16 last Sunday flighting to a block of trees late afternoon only 2 had full crops. :good: