New Ticket. What to buy?

sitsinhedges

After receiving my first FAC for many years I'm now in a quandary as to what to get.

My original idea was to get FAC air just to extend my air rifle range a little, I've had a couple of hundred bunnies with a standard .177 S400 this year and a 30ftlb .22 would get over some of its limitations. Typically Air-Arms have been having problems with the FAC barrels and so can't even provide one for several weeks so I am looking at other options but it has become apparent that FAC air is relatively expensive and probably requires a lot more input to get the best out than powderburners, but is by far the safest option.

.22 rimfire. In an ideal world this is the answer for bunny bashing. Quiet, cheap to run and light to carry. I owned a couple several years ago but I am having problems coming to terms with the unpredictable ricochet problems that it suffers from.

.17HMR seems to overcome the ricochets to some extent but is expensive to run, noisy and seems to damage the rabbits excessively, even with head shots.

Interestingly, the chap I spoke to at Air-Arms shoots a .22rimmie

I would appreciate any constructive comments to help me with what direction I take as I don't want all 3...yet

My .22RF is my go to rifle for bunny bashing as it kills well and a couple of boxes of ammo don't exactly break the bank if you are bagging 100's.

My .17HMR is far more fun and the gun I go to for a play about with. Absolutely spot on accurate and great when the bunnies get a bit twichy with the .22 range and you can bash them at 100+ yards.

So if they are cutting silage go out half a dozen times with the .22, big bags and then follow up with the .17. I tend to take the .17 in the day and the .22 under the lamp, but both are good for both!

You need both!

I've never actually heard one in real life yet, I gather they would be something like a 12gauge noise wise, even with a silencer and I gather the rabbits I shoot would be a bit messy to pick up and bag even when shot in the head ???

Nowhere near as loud as a 12G. The damage aspect is overstated.

Nowhere near as loud as a 12G. The damage aspect is overstated.

I agree with this completely. I had qualms about the HMR, mainly on noise grounds. I have a shoot with quite a few houses on it and several public footpaths. But I have sat shooting on quiet evenings with walkers within a hundred yards (not in the line of fire, of course ) and they haven't even looked. It's nothing like the report of a shotgun when it's moderated, not even a .410. It's a crack. If you can, find someone who has one and stand 20 yards to the side and judge for yourself.

I've mentioned to the farmer a couple of times that I'm sorry if I dsiturbed him shooting close to his place in the late evenings and he's told me he's not heard it.

Another reason for being pleased with the HMR is my increasing lack of mobility caused by an arthritic condition. It means less crawling and creeping though the undergrowth! We're all getting older! Now I can shoot rabbits at any range up to 140 yards.

I've had FAC rated air rifles in the past and their only plus point for me is that you can generally--repeat generally--shoot up into trees without risk--something that would be unthinkable with rimfires for anyone but a knobhead.

I'd recommend the HMR. If it's a totally new experience you'll enjoy the novelty of it if nothing else. A lot cheaper than an FAC airgun, not as many ricos as an LR--and you can easily flog it if you don't like it.

Let us know what you decide. There's about 300 for sale on the Guntrader.

Get both :yes: the .22 is great when out lamping at closer ranges and the HMR for longer daylight ranges. The noise is not that bad with the HMR with a mod on as you just get a crack. Many times I have shot a rabbit with its mate next to it and its mate hasn't even moved so that got it as well. There must be someone near you that could show you with there HMR and ammo is just as cheap as a shotgun and I fire more cartridges than I shoot .17 rounds.