air pump or air tank

shoot57

I filled my s310 from empty today! :lol:

Stripped it to replace the valve, thought I'd see how I got on: I stood with 1 foot on pump, and other leg straight out behind me....no back strain! Took me about 10 minutes with a few rests, from 0 - 190 bar, quite pleased with myself, not too difficult after all :good:

I use a pump. Easy as pie. Each pump stroke tends to be the equivalent to each shot ive had. Only takes me literally a few minutes to pump up my s410. My mate on the other hand, his "hills" pump nearly kills me whenever I try to use it. I have to keep stopping and resting etc...

So, I think it depends on the brand of pump as to how easy you find it to use. I think mines the FX3 3 stage pump if i remember rightly. Im no super fit bloke and also suffer from a bad back, but I manage fine with a pump.

i use apump to fill both mine looked into adivers bottle but they still need filling as well plus you can put ur pump in the car and fill the gun up if required bit of a problem if you have a 12ltr bottle if you dnt mind spending 5mins filling your gun up go for a pump but if you want 30second fill but have to sort the bottle out for test and getting it refilled its reali up to you

No, both feet on the deck! :lol:

Using any pump is hard work, due to the fact that you are pumping almost 3000 psi by hand. With both feet on the pump, you need to bend your lower back to get the action needed, hence the 'long stance' :blink:

Its basically a karate stance, you can then push the handle with your arms and shoulders instead....great exercise instead of back breaking hard work :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Hills Mk2 pump and have done for the past 3 years. Where I live (in SA for most of the year) the nearest dive shop where I could refill a cylinder is 150km so the cost of keeping a cylinder topped up with air would be high. If you are near to a dive shop it alters the economics, particularly if you can pick up a decent cylinder and charging gear second hand. Using a pump correctly is all about technique. I'm 60+, sturdy but not fit and my gun has a 250cc cylinder which I pump up to 200 bar. Check out the Pyramid Air website (Google search) which may still have a video to view demonstrating correct hand pump technique. The secret is to use your upper body muscles and weight and not to try to use tour biceps, like press ups in reverse. Push down on the pump handles until your arms are straight. Then brace your arms and wrists keeping them locked straight downwards. Let the pump handle press against your solar plexus and then push down with the force of your upper body. It's easier to do it than describe it. There are usually a few pumps coming up for sale on the 2ndhand market so it should be possible to get a good one fairly cheaply. Be careful not to buy one that has been used a great deal though; stripping the pump and replacing the seals is quite complicated. Hope this helps.

Deke

I'm new to the sport. I bought a 9 litre tank with filling kit for My BSA R10.. Previous owner of the gun used an FX pump but admitted its extremely difficult to get above 200Bar.. The R10s sweet spot is 235Bar..... Top end pump FX 4 stage £170 plus post.. This kit in the link is what I bought http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=579

This kit cost 250 quid posted to Mt door. It costs 5 quid to fill at the dive centre 800 yards from My front door. It will fill the BSA R10 11 times assuming the gun is completely empty which of course it never will be.. The choice as they say is Yours ...

Charlie.

One thing to remember with carbon fibre tanks is that they can't be re-tested, once they have reached they end of life date they have to be scrapped. Could be worth a call to see what the end of life date is for the tanks they have in stock.

They can be re tested and have to be every five Years.. 15 Year life span then scrap....

Charlie.

Hello

the main thing to consider is a dive tank is dry air,

a hand pump will put damp air into your bottle and as

the pressure rises dampness is forced out into your rifle.

to combat this in a compressor there is a moisture trap and bleed valve.

cheers......

Quite right.....good answer

but will they listen??

TEH

• 2 weeks later...

Any decent pump has a water trap and filter built in :good:

My Hills pump has a great big external cannister type filter on it, the Webley I'm selling has a similar setup built into the handle. Both are kept in my house, so not subjected to cold, damp air. I use both, tank and pump, depends on how energetic I feel when the rifle needs a top-up! :lol:

Edited by jacksdad

great advice guys, thanks. I am in the market for an FAC pcp and am swithering between pump and cylinder. A cylinder refill for me is no problem as we have compressors for breathing apparatus at work but it almost seems a pain having to get a bottle tested every few years. Having said that, tuning a handwheel is far easier than pumping for 5 minutes!

Don't be such a wimp! :lol:

Its good exercise, and not too hard, plus in that vid he's filling a buddy bottle, which are huge :blink:

I top up my rifles after each shoot, that way the pressure stays constant and doesn't break ya spine filling from empty :good:

I prefer to save that sort of exertion for Mrs.Enigma :wub:. ;):lol: