5 nights foxing while home

barrelsniffer

Had a OK time at home on the foxes managed to get 5 nights out would of liked more but had to also keep Mrs. happy...anyway my first night out I was informed by one farmer that he’s been seeing 3 foxes early hrs in morning around 6ish in the field opposite his house, we took a drive to the farm in Wales and set up the rifle on a stone wall opposite the house overlooking a field that borders a large wood.

I used a call master electronic caller sat on the wall after 10-15mins while scanning with a NV monocular as I swept left a fox was stood in middle of the field about 70yds away quick change to rifle and a nice connect with the 223 50gn vmax.

We left the fox where it dropped knowing there may be poss. 2 more in the wood and 5 mins later i spotted a pair of eye shine moving around in the wood, i waited and then seen the fox head appear at the fence sniffing the air as it came through and into the field it took about 5 steps before also meeting its end at around 80yds close to the first fox.

Both fox were dog and vixen we stayed a extra half hr but no sign of the third fox.

23102011374.jpg

We then drove over to a chicken farm where we know the farmer is always having probs with fox, this is just down the road from where we shot the first 2, as we parked up and got our kit ready we walked round into the first field and my shoot buddy bill spotted a fox some 50-60 yds in front, we had a farm light illuminating us from behind so as we tried get out of the light the fox started to move away from us towards a farm in front of us some 400yds away so not safe to shoot.

We sat on the side of the hill with our farm behind us and the one to our front right 400yds away and we watched the fox to see if it would give a safe shot and luckily for us it started to flank us moving right to left away from the farm in front of us finally giving me clean safe shot at around 300yds.

I do have a pic but it’s quite a mess so will leave it off.

My second night out was on the estate i shoot on in Cheshire for the keeper he mentioned a few locations where he had seen a few fox but we didn’t see any so moved to another location where we spotted one fox in the distance about 500+yds away this fox just wasn’t interested at all ,finally vanishing from view, moved to another spot where we called one fox in had good sight of it but must of got wind of us and also vanished, then we had another in same spot again coming in from the right some 500yds away crossing the track we were on then re-crossing and coming up the hill in front of us i was shooting of sticks and i missed with first shot, the fox ran away and to our right but stopping for a few seconds i didn’t miss that time.

Didn’t see anymore that night so called it a night.

DSCN3423.jpg

My third night out i was up near white haven in Cumbria with another keeper friend i left Cheshire at 13.45hrs and then got stuck with the M6 closure due to a chemical spillage so had go through Preston was in 2 minds to turn around and go another day but pushed on and landed at garys at 17.30 had a quick brew and something to eat then we headed out to meet another keeper and a water bailiff which was another hr drive away.

We eventually got out moving from field to field covering a large amount of land and we didn’t see one fox not even any eye shine from lamps or IR we stayed there from 19.30ish to about 00.30 in morn then drove back to garys land which he manages and first field we pulled into we got kit out and started calling i picked up a fox some 1000yds away on top of a hill, then seen the bobbing of its eyes up and down..Indication of it coming towards.

Some 10-15mins elapsed as we watched it come into around the 100yds before taking my shot.

DSCN3455.jpg

We then moved onto other spot where we spotted a pair of eyes sat on side of a hill around 250yds away but wasn’t positive of a ID so just watched to see if it would move, after ten mins it did and yes it was a fox i had my zoom right up to 10,i usually leave it at x6 and yes i misjudged the distance and missed : (

That was the last one we seen all night after staying out to 5 in morn and some 10ish hrs in total out so a pretty disappointing night up there this time.

My fourth night out back in Wales around the chicken farm was very disappointing we spotted 6 fox some were more likely the same fox moving around as we moved about around different spots around the farms but all were way too far and just not interested one bit so no shots fired that night.

My fifth night again in Wales we again were having a bad start spotting one fox but again no interest so we moved to another spot, again no sightings but as i moved around a tree that was on my left so i could get a better view of the field behind it i spot a fox stood around 100yds looking in our direction i was shooting of sticks i steadied my rifle sighted the fox and slowly squeezed the trigger a perfect chest shot.

DSCN3468.jpg

This fox was quite small ¾ grown cub

We then moved some 200yds up the track we were on and started calling again where bill spotted another fox running in to around 50yds to my right again shot from using sticks, and another cub by the looks of it.

DSCN3466.jpg

Cheers

Mick

And to think i missed all this welsh excitment good luck Mick maybe next time shame them 17 rem didnt work for you we could of loaded together

Atb

Mark

Yes mark few nights out good results..ref the 17 i tried some 25gn vmax with varget and they seem to be ok so far also using 30gn bergers both still need a bit more work on but so both loads look promising...will have meet up in jan when im home again.

Mick