Last minute surprise

ack-ack

A while back I posted to see if anybody sold Duck flighting as was very keen to give it a go. Margun very kindly got in touch and offered to take me out on his ground to give me a taster. We set a date a few weeks back and I was counting down the days as it was looking like it was going to be a proper foreshore job and not just sitting round a puddle blatting grain fed semi-tame mallards.

The venue was looking like it was going to be the Swale marshes so Friday night I burst in from work much later than I'd have liked to and started getting my stuff together for the next morning. Finally sat down at 2200 and decided as it was going to be an 0345 start it may be in the best interests of my poor abused innards to miss a dinner. I had a smoke and a beer and then half an hour later found myself radioing in my co-ordinates for an airstrike from the hills of Istanbul. That was a mistake!

By 0415 after a rotten few hours kip I was on the road and heading to the meeting point. We had a chin wag and a brew and then Mark realised he'd forgotten his duck calls. I knew I'd have the edge straight away as thanks to my late night Ottoman troughing I'd been quacking all the way up the M2 :lol:

We picked our way through the marshes with Mark giving a rolling briefing of hazzards etc. Good job he told me to bring a stick as there were numerous concealed hazzards just waiting to snap my legs. We chose a gutter, got set up and waited for daybreak. I was absolutely buzzing, couldn't believe I was actually experiencing something that had been on the list for so many years. I could hear birds moving and a good few Teal swung by in front a way out. I sunk deeper down in the mud and got ready. My mind started wandering a bit and I started imagining great coated germans coming thundering towards me out of the half light with fixed bayonets when Mark called that a Mallard had gone over the top of me. Balls! I hadn't even noticed.

The silence of the early morning was broken with the occassional whimper of Marks adorable Lab bitch Moss. The pair of them silhouetted against the lightening sky to their rear made for a beautiful photo but after my faux pas a few minutes earlier whilst fighting the boche I decided the camera would be staying in my bag.

As it got lighter we had a brew, occassionally having to take cover as birds came in. Most were Peewits but there were Mallard moving further out. We were just about to pack up and a Duck came in quick and high from the RHS. Whilst we were doing the sporting gentleman bit as to who should go for it we both decided we were going to **** out if we dithered much longer and simultaneously gave it four barrels. The bird was clearly hit quite hard but managed a contolled descent which took it another 200 yards toward the sea. I thought I'd marked it fairly well but having to keep checking for underfoot hazzards and keeping an eye on where we'd left our kit I managed to wander way off where she'd landed. It was time for Moss to do her bit. Mark sent her on and soon she was bounding back our way with a stone dead fat Mallard hen. It was a truly wonderful moment. Mark had trained her himself from a pup and had clearly done a cracking job, he was beaming with pride and who could blame him. It was emotional.

Mark very gentlemanly insisted it was my shot that had done for it but at the very least it was a joint effort. I was a bit overwhelmed by the whole experience and found my self incapable of conversation. There was too much to take in there, I was completely blown away.

We made our way back and met a few interesting sorts on the way including another wildfowler and stood about chatting back at the cars for an hour whilst Moss basked in the glory of her triumph.

Mark, I had a cracking time chap, you're a true gent.

PS I think Moss redeemed herself for smashing the Phez and bunny you had hanging up at yours last week. :lol:

post-28393-0-34758600-1321204206.jpg

post-28393-0-24083100-1321204227.jpg

post-28393-0-25819600-1321204251.jpg

Sounds like you had a great flight, there is something special about wildfowling, sat in the mud waiting for a duck or goose to come your way, and the number of times i have been chatting when they suddenly appear over head :lol: O the joy

Edited by Spaniel

Sounds like you had a great flight, there is something special about wildfowling, sat in the mud waiting for a duck or goose to come your way, and the number of times i have been chatting when they suddenly appear over head :lol: O the joy

Nice write up :good: . Wildfowling is on my wish list, and that has just confirmed how much I want to do it.

Glad you enjoyed old mate! The marsh is a great place (and the only reason to visit Sheppey if you can cope with being seen as an outsider by all the inbreds :lol: ) That bird was a touch, a real gifter. I spoke to a couple of the lads yesterday it seems you're doing as well or better than most considering the slow start this year -as we saw there's no water.

I'm still tickled pink with the dog, it was a good retrieve, just goes to show a good nose is worth it's weight in gold, where we marked was way off.

You're more than welcome to come out anytime Rob - I'll keep you posted on the bird situation, a cold spell should bring some more birds in, but really it's water that's in short supply :good:

Glad you enjoyed old mate! The marsh is a great place (and the only reason to visit Sheppey if you can cope with being seen as an outsider by all the inbreds :lol: ) That bird was a touch, a real gifter. I spoke to a couple of the lads yesterday it seems you're doing as well or better than most considering the slow start this year -as we saw there's no water.

I'm still tickled pink with the dog, it was a good retrieve, just goes to show a good nose is worth it's weight in gold, where we marked was way off.

You're more than welcome to come out anytime Rob - I'll keep you posted on the bird situation, a cold spell should bring some more birds in, but really it's water that's in short supply :good:

Bloody good of you to say so chap, I'm still pumped now. Just done the old girl justice, she was like a butter ball, never seen so much fat on a Mallard, still I suppose she was from Sheppey, probably been fed on broken biscuits from an early age :lol:

I'll sort some tides and keep looking at the lookahead on BBC weather and if you're flexible hopefully we'll have a session on the Cods. Still plenty of summer species about though as its mild as you like. They fished a match off folkestone pier and they were getting Mackerel and Garfish!?!? Whats going on?? Its November but nobody has told mother nature.

Always a pleasure Mark. love your inappropriate sense of humour, give Moss a pat, will be in touch soon.