Pure white fox

Pykie

Very interesting to see, it doesn't look to have red eyes so as such it isn't a true albino!

I have never seen a white fox but I do have a black for on one of my permissions. It has been seen by another member (Archie1234) who I took out lamping. Unfortunately when we spotter it I was on the lamp and Richie was "on the trigger" and it was such a large size I told him not to shoot as I thought it was a collie (or similar breed of dog). By the time I realised my mistake it was too late and it was on the move - Sorry Richie, it would have made a nice trophy for you and I hold the responsibility for you not getting it!

It has now moved on and has been spotted on another of my permissions where it seems to have taken up residence in an old mine shaft. It's days are now numbered - I hope!

I suspect that most fox shooters would give their eye teeth to nail a white fox like that one!

may I ask your views on this please fellas. it was all over facebook and people were slateing mark for shooting this "rare" animal.

the questions i ask myself is, would i have taken the shot? my answer is simply , hell yes...

reason being its very valuable and at the end of the day it still causes problems for farmers but some people seemed oblivious to this as it was white.

same as the fella who shot the emperor of exmoor in my view 99.9% of people who were in that situation would of taken the shot on such a fine animal, why should it be any different because its that little bigger or different in colour...

all opinions please gents ?

Maybe it's a hangover from the days when folks used to believe harming any white animal would be unlucky?

Speaking personally I'd have no qualms in taking the shot, two reasons...I use animal pelts in my livelihood, and a fox will still harm poultry and other stock no matter what colour it is. :)

Would have definetly shot it, a fox is a fox. I'm sure the Facebook warriors wouldn't have had the same views if it was covered in mange and had been filmed demolishing a poultry farm. The wierd thing was after looking at the comments most seemed to be shooters :hmm:

Not a Fox but saw a white Stag last week while driving by in a tractor. Was less than 10 metres away from him and he wasnt even bothered, I even stopped to take a photo on my phone. There's 3 of them round here a hind and a youngen and now this one.

IMG00063-20111116-1151.jpg

Not a clear picture but you can see him, he must of thought I couldnt see him.

Edited by BFG

Frencie I saw that fox last Thursday behind the deer play pub that borders our permissions....he was looking in fine condition mate....I was walking to my permission thru the carpark and he was running up the field....I got onto my area panned round with the lamp and no sign of him....

That doesn't surprise me Richie! It appears that he has taken up residence in an old mine shaft some half a mile of so on the other side of the road from the Deerplay (Quite close to your permission in "Foxes Distance"). This would explain why you saw him making his way out in the direction that you saw him travelling, one of his "paths" seems to go from the old mine shaft almost straight through towards the Deerplay. I haven't had time to get out on the lamp for him yet, maybe next time you are about we could get together for a chat as he seems to be a right cunning old so and so and could do with "putting in his place"!

My personal view is there's no reason a white fox should be treated any differently to a 'normal' fox.

In the natural world, albinos, semi or full, are at a genetic disadvantage and even the same species will attack it as an 'unknown' or in response to genetic programming to ensure that this 'weaker' type does not breed.

You see it with blackbirds and other species more regularly so a white fox is a bit of a novelty.

What anyone does in this situation is their choice, why bother with the opinions of 'facebook faschisti' ?

Edited by Kes