hushpower 9" Mod

BiG_Al

Hiya peeps.

Just fitted a Hushpower 9" Moderator to my 410 and after my first cart think what the hell have I done?

Ive followed the instructions as to the fitting and had an engineering show cut the bush to suit my tapered barrel. The bush fits close to the end of the muzzle etc but like I said just seems as loud as an un-moderated 410. :angry:

I was just wonering if anyone has the same mod as inside the mod it seems too empty to be an efficient moderator (no wadding or drilled tubes just a few baffles in the end)

Any feedback will help me in my quest for a better gun for the lamp.

Thanks Guys.

Al

I've got a 9" hushpower fitted to a mossy 500 410. It's the new version with the removable collet system instead of the permanent bush fitting of the older model. It was more spendy at £100, but it's well worth it so that you can remove the thing when you actually want to hit anything. :)

A red dot or ghost rings can fix most of the accuracy problems, so on to actual effectiveness; if you can't tell the difference between your suppressed and un-suppressed gun, there's either a problem with your suppressor or your ears.

Subsonic shot carts are an expensive gimmick in my opinion. You won't notice the difference in sound. You will however have to hold much more lead and reduce your range by a fair bit. The extra grams of lead don't make up for lost speed in my experience.

I've noticed pretty serious plastic residue in the tube after firing plas-wads, so I'd strongly recommend fibre. A bore obstruction or serious baffle strike could ruin your day. Eley extra-long are the only subsonic fibre I know of and they'll cost around £7 a box. Eley fourlongs are WAY quieter though and although a bit anaemic at 12.5g, they can do the job at sensible .410 ranges.

Eley fourlong with the hushpower through my gun are comparible to somebody clapping their hands hard near your ears. I'll admit I still wear hearing protection but I've got to say it's a very useful tool. I regularly have the farmer who lives 200m away come to see if I've actually shot anything! (I should add he's not deaf as far as I know) :good:

Edited by sterling

Personally I find the 9" moderator very effective:had one on a Baikal single for last 5yrs. Two points I might make are cartridge choice(strangely I found Lyavale 2.5 normal carts quieter than 3" subs)and noise is best judged from some yards away with someone else firing the gun.I do find background makes a big difference with silenced shotguns,partcularly my 12g:much quieter firing into open sky than noise reflecting from walls & woods.

As others have said, the noise when your firing the gun may not be too much different with or without the mod. However the noise from a distance away is where the difference really is.

It also depends greatly on where you fire it. If your in the middle of an open field it will sound a lot quieter than if your near a hedgerow or any buildings.

It wont be as quiet as a fully moderated shotgun, but you should see some difference over a non moderated gun.