One for the Mac guys

JonD

I don't use dropbox, I use YOUSENDIT.COM. It's bad enough getting folks to use that, many will want to just 'burn a disc'. Cloud services are great till your Broadband goes tits up for the day, then your screwed. Thanks god I've got two iMac's with a DVD burner on each. Cobblers to 'upgrading' to a Mac with less flexibility. No-one's answered the runner bean issue yet either.

It wasn't that long ago that floppy disk drives were in laptops..! Surely you don't miss that do you?! ;)

Optical drives are slowly becoming redundant though. Fair do's if you've got an iMac - it seems unlikely that the iMac will lose the optical drive for a while, as it's not exactly hard pressed for extra room inside. However, if you take something like the MacBook Air; An optical drive would not only fail to squeeze into it and make it thicker, but also take up crucial battery/hdd/processor space. All that loss for a drive which is hardly ever used.

The MacBook Air and Pro lines are going to start converging and in that process something has to go. At least the extra room that the Pro would gain might mean that we could get a 10 hour battery life out of one, or have enough battery to allow the Quad cores to run for longer at a higher frequency.

I would highly reccomend trying DropBox, it integrates perfectly with OSX and if you need people to send you stuff they don't have to install software.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting temped by a mac but would have to have boot camp or similar to actually do any work my XP pro tosh is awesome yes it's heavy and runs hot an battery life is down to 20 min but it does stuff works well and takes a hammering most consumer macs I see only use 2 applications safari and iTunes ( 3 photo something)

I am getting temped by a mac but would have to have boot camp or similar to actually do any work my XP pro tosh is awesome yes it's heavy and runs hot an battery life is down to 20 min but it does stuff works well and takes a hammering most consumer macs I see only use 2 applications safari and iTunes ( 3 photo something)

What do you use on Windows?

On my Mac I use Photoshop, Final Cut, AutoCad (rarely), Lightroom and After Effects... It's amazing for video editing and when I do run XP on it, it it blazingly fast.

Obviously stuff like iTunes, Chrome etc for day to day stuff. It's all about the ease of use that sets them apart though ;)

Oh and I'm running a mid 2009 MacBook Pro - My 100% battery is sat at 4h:30m :smartass:

Edited by Billy.

Cheers Billy :)

You know what, I'm seriously considering one of the current ones as I bought my laptop at a very discounted price and could sell it for more than I paid for it. The 10 month 0% makes it even more appealing :)

However; this one is soooo bloody good i'm not going to bother, is it worth upgrading this one to 8GB of RAM?

Also, are there any Torrent apps for the Mac? I'm now on a mission of Mac only use, Laptop has been turned off, have Outlook for Exchange mail, mail for personal mail, VPN client installed and remote desktop as I have to hit a number of servers every day.

Also need a basic web design app, hopefully SeaMonkey is available for the Mac.

Last question, can you retrofit a backlit keyboard? Sounds like a daft request but if I get called out I can get back to sleep far quicker if I don't have to turn the lights on :)

Cheers,

Jon.

You know what, I'm seriously considering one of the current ones as I bought my laptop at a very discounted price and could sell it for more than I paid for it. The 10 month 0% makes it even more appealing :)

However; this one is soooo bloody good i'm not going to bother, is it worth upgrading this one to 8GB of RAM?

Also, are there any Torrent apps for the Mac? I'm now on a mission of Mac only use, Laptop has been turned off, have Outlook for Exchange mail, mail for personal mail, VPN client installed and remote desktop as I have to hit a number of servers every day.

Last question, can you retrofit a backlit keyboard? Sounds like a daft request but if I get called out I can get back to sleep far quicker if I don't have to turn the lights on :)

Cheers,

Jon.

Why would you be wanting to retrofit one if you bought a new mac ? all of them come with a lit keyboard

Also as to torrents, Vuze works as thats what I use

Cheers,

Jon.

I don't think you have to have 8GB of ram. However, for the sake of an extra £13 a month, I might be worth it. Whatever you do, don't upgrade the HDD. It's easier to buy the lowest spec HDD and upgrade it yourself. The new Seagate Momentus Hybrid Drive will knock the spots off most HDDs and is hot on the heels of SSDs

Frostwire, uTorrent are what I use. Rarely do I encounter a piece of software which isn't compantible on a Mac, but if I do encounter this issue and I really need to run it, I just run VMWare fusion, which will run Windows seamlessly on my Mac (four finger swipe to the left and you're in Windows ;) (time to be impressed))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFAWg6XZ0ic

All >2009 Macs (with the exception of the 2010 MacBook Air) come with a backlit keyboard. Once you've experienced a backlit keyboard, you'll notice how just about every other laptop is inferior. No more searching for keys in low light.

iWeb is really good for WYSIWYG web development. Other than that, there are quite a few others, I just can't remember them off th top of my head. If you need to find what's available, you can search the Mac App Store and then use other means to download it ;)

Edited by Billy.

LOL,

This is a 15" but doesn't have a backlit keyboard :( my laptop is a top of the range Dell Studio 1737 17" and does have a backlit keyboard.

It was turned off yesterday and hasn't been turned on since, Tunnelblick working well (VPN) have uTorrent installed and just got handbrake for DVD backup :)

I managed to do all my server admin from the Mac today, installed a network printer without issue and even learnt how to right click ;) and am slowly learning to speak Mac :)

OK, I now have all of 4 days of Mac experience but really wish I'd got one years ago, i'm not a fanboi by any stretch but credit where it's due!!

Another question, I bought loads of iPhone apps and no longer have one, can I get them on here?

Cheers,

Jon.

I hope that the right click was a two finger tap and not click with one and tap with the other ;)

iPhone Apps don't run on the Mac, unless you're a developer. Any App you purchased can be downloaded for free on an iPhone when you log into your iTunes account.

2 finger tap doesn't seem to work for me, using control tap but have just been given a book on Snow Leopard so will have a read up :)

PC still not been turned back on, it now a Mac stand :0)

Jon.

Never good, guessing the one on the left is the new one and the inverter or graphics card is screwed.

I'm now 10 days into my Mac life and the PC still hasn't been turned on :)

I'm now thinking about putting a 256GB SSD drive and some more RAM in this one rather buying a new one.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an ISO of the Snow Leopard install DVD or let me know where I can get one from as my actual ones won't be here until the new year when a colleague brings them from the US for me.

Cheers,

Jon.