Rabbit Mince

Hunter

Hey,

Im thinking of getting a hand mincinf machine to make rabbit mince? is this possible or infact worth it?

The flan is to make use of all size/age rabbits. Usually I leave them for foxy if they are too small, but gutting/skining and removing the meat to make mince would make full use of my hunting trips. That and minced rabbit spices, onions etc added could be good for sandwiches?

Also where could I find a hand operated mincing machine?

Cheers for your help! ;)

Thanks Frank!

How long does it take to mince a whole Fallow? :good:

:yes::huh: I usaully mince small portions at a time. :huh:

Big bucks that are well old get cut into sections, frozen and then when i need a bit, i defrost and mince. :lol:

Frank.

My plan is to freeze a load of bunnies (now have 4) and then mince say 6 in a row, and freeze the mine in small portions.

you don't want to de-frost meat especially Rabbit Pork and Poultry and then re-freeze it as you stand a good chance of getting food poisoning.

My plan is to freeze a load of bunnies (now have 4) and then mince say 6 in a row, and freeze the mine in small portions.

you don't want to de-frost meat especially Rabbit Pork and Poultry and then re-freeze it as you stand a good chance of getting food poisoning.

Doh! I forgot about that rule :yes:

Thanks. In that case il mince it first, then freeze. Il just have to shoot more bunnies in one go.

I have made burgers for the BBQ after mincing rabbit with pork belly etc and they were great. But it is a very labour intensive job if you want to get all the meat off.

I can give you a tip that might help you a little though. Rather than cut the meat and having to deal with all the tendons etc. bring to the boil and then simmer the rabbit/s carcass for 3 hours and let it cool. Once the meat has cooled it will not only be very moist and ready to use in a sandwich or a pie etc but it will also fall off the bone with no tendons.

You can add to this by flavouring the boiling water with Onions, Carrots, Celery, Peppercorns, etc. infact any flavour you wish to add. This will not only give your meat a great taste but also a pot of stock that you can use to make your pies with.

I have made burgers for the BBQ after mincing rabbit with pork belly etc and they were great. But it is a very labour intensive job if you want to get all the meat off.

I can give you a tip that might help you a little though. Rather than cut the meat and having to deal with all the tendons etc. bring to the boil and then simmer the rabbit/s carcass for 3 hours and let it cool. Once the meat has cooled it will not only be very moist and ready to use in a sandwich or a pie etc but it will also fall off the bone with no tendons.

You can add to this by flavouring the boiling water with Onions, Carrots, Celery, Peppercorns, etc. infact any flavour you wish to add. This will not only give your meat a great taste but also a pot of stock that you can use to make your pies with.

Great tip axe :good: i'll give that a try because as you say it can be labour intensive

I do the same but put the meat in a bowl and pour over virgin olive oil and and leave for a couple of hours. Then eat with a salad and chilled bottle of white wine. My wife hates the taste of rabbit but will eat it like this. :oops: