Gamebore 24g Steel- filthy fire! Help!

Hi folks,

I was out yesterday for a bit of rough shooting and I decided to work of 24g steel. after having a few goes at the odd crow I returned to clays. The cartridges wern't particulary liked by the gun, with one ejecting jam.. (Highly unusual for a brand new Maxus!) The jam was followed by a small fireball several shots later that came out of the breech! Rather scarey at the time! The cartridges left a horrible mess, with what appeared to be small goldish squares lining the trigger mech and inner workings?! After two boxes I simply had to stop.. Anybody experience this?

Guest cookoff013

thats a low pressure issue, unburnt powder mainly.

if you had a firing issue to start with you should check your barrels. i think after the first low powder dropped load went off, it coverd the action in unburned powder.

subsequent firings either coated with more, and or set off the unburned powder.

were the shells cold?

i`ve had issues identical but with homeloads. the pressure was way too low.

the remedy is to warm your shells before firing.

Yeh, if it was cold, this can be a problem. Carts stored in a cold place, then used in a cold environment will always be prone to unburnt powder grains, which ignite in the barrel causing the 'fireball'.

As the chap above says, store them at room temperature, not in a cold garage, loft or in the motor overnight.

Guest cookoff013

if you were loading cartirdges, certainly using a hotter primer or trying to hit the 10,000psi is certainly a good way of having the loads perform best in cold environment.

ps, you shoot steel at whatever you want.

I shoot pigeons with No.4 32gram steel these days, purely because most of my shot birds are given to the local raptor/wild cat centre. The case is translucent, and most of the cart is full of shot! Looks weird compared to a lead shot cart.

Steel number 4 is roughly similar in weight to number 6 lead, or so i've been told. Not quite as good ballistically over a distance, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I was out yesterday for a bit of rough shooting and I decided to work of 24g steel. after having a few goes at the odd crow I returned to clays. The cartridges wern't particulary liked by the gun, with one ejecting jam.. (Highly unusual for a brand new Maxus!) The jam was followed by a small fireball several shots later that came out of the breech! Rather scarey at the time! The cartridges left a horrible mess, with what appeared to be small goldish squares lining the trigger mech and inner workings?! After two boxes I simply had to stop.. Anybody experience this?

Maxus jamming :lol: :lol: never :lol: :lol: BB

Guest topshot_2k

Don't forget steel weighs less than lead so you get more shot weight for weight than lead. :good:

High speed 28g steel is a duck load..... :yes:

:no: unless you are talking inland flight pond and under 30yds

I shoot pigeons with No.4 32gram steel these days, purely because most of my shot birds are given to the local raptor/wild cat centre. The case is translucent, and most of the cart is full of shot! Looks weird compared to a lead shot cart.

Steel number 4 is roughly similar in weight to number 6 lead, or so i've been told. Not quite as good ballistically over a distance, though.

Great cart choice IMHO