How to clean a semi - auto ?

person22

Thanks for posting all this chaps.

I've got a lovely Beretta 302.

It gets cleaned after every trip unless I am using it again within 7 days, in which case, it's just a wipe over with an oily rag to remove finger marks. I take the trigger mech out about every fifth time of cleaning it and clean that with a toothbrush. I have never removed the magazine spring, but I'll have a go at that next time now I know how.

One thing I found useful was a bottle of alloy wheel cleaner which cleaned the piston up nicely. I only did this once when I acquired the gun to remove built-up crud.

My dads 302 when he had it, said in the manual that the crud was supposed to remain on the piston to act as a sealant/lubricat and should not be cleaned. So he didnt, not once in the 15-20 years he had it, like i said before, it worked flawlessly.

It gets cleaned after every trip unless I am using it again within 7 days, in which case, it's just a wipe over with an oily rag to remove finger marks. I take the trigger mech out about every fifth time of cleaning it and clean that with a toothbrush. I have never removed the magazine spring, but I'll have a go at that next time now I know how.

One thing I found useful was a bottle of alloy wheel cleaner which cleaned the piston up nicely. I only did this once when I acquired the gun to remove built-up crud.

:good:??? "the trigger come's out" ,,,,," there is a spring in the mag :devil: ",,,,, "theres a piston as well :blush::blush: " "yee gadds those japanese geezers think of everything dont they, im going back to my old single barrel, this cleaning thing is getting me down :lol:

Martin , still of the opinion that " if it aint broke dont fix it" , unless its a target :(

:good:??? "the trigger come's out" ,,,,," there is a spring in the mag :blush: ",,,,, "theres a piston as well :blush::lol: " "yee gadds those japanese geezers think of everything dont they, im going back to my old single barrel, this cleaning thing is getting me down :P

Martin , still of the opinion that " if it aint broke dont fix it" , unless its a target :(

having just watched that DVD TLE i would say your cleaning methods (or lack there of) seem to work pretty well.

Very impressive shooting. i wish i could shoot skeet that well off my correct shoulder and with the gun in my shoulder :devil:

Glad you liked it Nick, i thought i'd send it to LB and then on to you, i knew you'd get a kick out of it, bet you wish you were there though :good: , we do a number of things from the hip when tricking, running "5 stand" as well is another or the game "Make a Break ", i have shot 5 hand thrown from the hip, only 5 though as we are not allowed more like our southern cousins, took a few tries but got there.

we did go out on good friday past, managed to get the day off, i shot 925 rounds at sporting, thought my shoulders were going to come unglued, 400 from the O/U's the rest from the autos left and right handed,

need to load up the quad now for this weekend, 6 hour drive to Crows Nest Pass another weekend at the ranges, cant get enough of it.

work to shoot

Martin

Glad you liked it Nick, i thought i'd send it to LB and then on to you, i knew you'd get a kick out of it, bet you wish you were there though :good: , we do a number of things from the hip when tricking, running "5 stand" as well is another or the game "Make a Break ", i have shot 5 hand thrown from the hip, only 5 though as we are not allowed more like our southern cousins, took a few tries but got there.

we did go out on good friday past, managed to get the day off, i shot 925 rounds at sporting, thought my shoulders were going to come unglued, 400 from the O/U's the rest from the autos left and right handed,

need to load up the quad now for this weekend, 6 hour drive to Crows Nest Pass another weekend at the ranges, cant get enough of it.

work to shoot

Martin

???

you make me very jellous

all you need to do the 10 hand thrown clays is two guns :devil: :(

I have tried the hand thrown clay thing and i am too scared of clouting the old mans gas gun so i hardly throw the clays hard and it makes life difficult for myself.

I have shot a few driven clays from the hip and i actually managed to hit a few. But cant get the crossers, any tips?

:D

you make me very jellous

all you need to do the 10 hand thrown clays is two guns :sick::good:

I have tried the hand thrown clay thing and i am too scared of clouting the old mans gas gun so i hardly throw the clays hard and it makes life difficult for myself.

I have shot a few driven clays from the hip and i actually managed to hit a few. But cant get the crossers, any tips?

Nick its like anything else practice practice practice, try this next time your out.

firstly shoot soft quartering birds then work up the angles, say station 2 high then station 3 high on to station 4, shoot a few crossers from the shoulder be very aware of the guns position

e.g. muzzle to target, and level of the gun, then lift your head from the stock keeping all else the same,

slowly drop the gun under your shoulder, you will gradualy get the gun lower all the time.

now swapping hands on a pair of crossing targets taking the right bird L/H and the left bird R/H takes a little more :good::good::good:

good luck buddy :drool:

Martin

the piston on a 390/391 gets really dirty. you can clean it with a gun solvent and tooth brush and have found q tips and pipe cleaners helpful.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have been wary of using solvent on the piston as I am worried about corroding the synthetic ring at the front end of the piston. Are you sure this is ok to do, as I am desperate to de-gunk it. I am a bit obsessive about keeping my guns spotless. As someone said earlier, I had it drilled into me as a kid and in the army to keep it immaculate.... which wold surprise anyone who has ever seen my desk at work!