Self Employed Folk

Alex C

Do any of you self employed chaps know if the VAT people still send out the green froms to pay your VAT. I know that if you registered after a certain date you had to file on line, but i was in before that cut off.

Reason i ask is i have had a letter saying i have missed a payment, but i didnt get the usual letter with the form to fill in and return envelope to post a cheque.

Does everyone have to file on line now, or has my wife just chucked the letter in the bin ??

Cheers

Do any of you self employed chaps know if the VAT people still send out the green froms to pay your VAT. I know that if you registered after a certain date you had to file on line, but i was in before that cut off.

Reason i ask is i have had a letter saying i have missed a payment, but i didnt get the usual letter with the form to fill in and return envelope to post a cheque.

Does everyone have to file on line now, or has my wife just chucked the letter in the bin ??

Cheers

It depends on your turnover. Until April 2012, businesses with a turnover below £100,000.00 can still submit paper returns. After that date those businesses will have to submit electronic returns like the rest of us.

See this from the HMRC site........

When you must submit your VAT Returns online

From 1 April 2010, you must submit your VAT Returns online and pay any VAT due electronically if either of the following applies:

•you registered for VAT before 1 April 2010 and had an annual VAT-exclusive turnover of £100,000 or more for the 12 months ended 31 December 2009

•you registered for VAT on or after 1 April 2010 (regardless of your turnover)

In the case of the first group, you must continue to submit all your VAT Returns online (including nil and repayment returns) even if your turnover drops below £100,000 in the future.

From 1 April 2012, all remaining VAT-registered businesses - those registered for VAT before 1 April 2010 with a VAT-exclusive turnover of less than £100,000 - will also have to submit VAT Returns online and pay any VAT due electronically

If you are still submitting VAT Returns on paper, HMRC strongly recommends you sign up to using the online service before April 2012, so that you have time to get familiar with the new service. Using the online service is quick and easy, and in most cases gives you extra time to submit your return and pay any VAT due.

If you need help in submitting your VAT Return online, see the section later in this guide on help and support.

I am on it tonight. Sorted in the next hour hopefully, thats if i dont make a balls of it !! :lol:

Alex as others have said it is straightforward and you will manage OK. There is one thing to watch though right at the very end when your figures have gone into the software it looks like your VAT has been submitted - it hasn't - you need to confirm the return. When this happens the system will tell you the date of the next return, if it shows the current quarter you haven't completed properly.

That won't sound like a load of ****** when you are actually doing it !!

I hope that helps you. :good: