Which rifle

deputy dog

This subjest has been doing my head in for ages now lads.

Iv been saving for a new rifle for months an have finally at long last saved

enough to buy a decent combination of rifle scope an mod.

My budget is 2k maybe a little more at a push.

The rifles iv been mulling over are

Tikka T3 various models, Or the Browning X Bolt and now the Sako 85 model.

Sportman are doing combination deals on all the rifles with mod included and

i just cant seem to come to a definit decision as what to buy.

Get a cheaper Model like the Tikka, X Bolt and put a decent scope on it.

Or should i say naff it an buy the more expensive Sako an put a lesser scope on it an

save for a better one to go on top.

Any good guidence, advice as what to go for. As these 3 models are the ones iv had chance to handle

an get to grips with over the last few months.

I want to get it soon as possible as not for any thing to crop up as it has twice before and

i'm forced to use the money for some thing else.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

The old saying comes to mind here buy a good scope spend the change on a rifle if you want to shoot sako 85 or tikka t3 give me a shout if this rain ever goes away you got my number atb paul

Very nice offer :good: and the best way to find out what suits the best. A more expensive rifle doesnt always shoot any better than a cheaper one. The same goes for glass aswell yes more expensive is usually better but it all depends on what you are using it for.

Edited by Luckyshot

Cheers Paul for that. I hope this rain does one so we could get up Colins as planed for a few shots. Your number is in my phone mate, hope you had a great Christmas.

Luckyshot i'll be using it mostly on fox but will be hopefuly getting out on a few stalks on the deer as it will be in .243 flavour so i'll have the choice to do both. Either paid stalking or hopefully i'll find land where i have permission to take a few deer.

Either way i would like a good reliable rifle which will do the job asked of it and needs little or no attention other then cleaning after use. Been frying my head for months now, so it need sorting soon so i can get on an start putting it through its paces.

DD

Cheers Paul for that. I hope this rain does one so we could get up Colins as planed for a few shots. Your number is in my phone mate, hope you had a great Christmas.

Luckyshot i'll be using it mostly on fox but will be hopefuly getting out on a few stalks on the deer as it will be in .243 flavour so i'll have the choice to do both. Either paid stalking or hopefully i'll find land where i have permission to take a few deer.

Either way i would like a good reliable rifle which will do the job asked of it and needs little or no attention other then cleaning after use. Been frying my head for months now, so it need sorting soon so i can get on an start putting it through its paces.

DD

DD

Well I use a tikka m595 in 243 for anything from crows to deer and I have an s&b 8x56 on top good scope for fox and deer but not too good on the smaller vermin due to the lack of mag. Just for fox and deer though the s&b is a decent scope for not alot of money.

Edited by Luckyshot

t3 and a quality scope

just as accurate and reliable as the sako although the sako is a really nice rifle you are on a budget and the t3 despite the plastic mag that people like to bang on about is deffo the best in its class new.

2nd hand you could find a sako or m series tikka but you need experience and time to find a good one.

i have got or had m590 m595 and t3 and they all had outstanding accuracy. :good:

what sort of price is the t3 now.

Hi Paul

Tikkas start from about £733 in Sportsman Guncenter,

Tikka T3 Lite that is. If you want the stainless version its £859.

Not a bank busting amount so to say.

Doing combinations down there with 3 different choices of scope

Redfield, Duralyt and Nightforce all for various amounts of extra cash of course.

Been thinking of a rifle with one of the Ziess Duralyt Illuminated scopes.

Should be ample for what i need it for. Always save for a more up market scope

to put on as i'm getting used to my rifle.

I'l drop the Duralyt onto my HMR then when i got enough for a Swarovski or

something of the same prestige so to say.

Any opinion on the Ziess Duralyt scope Paul.

DD

Edited by deputy dog

I have a Howa 1500 in .223 stainless and it's fantastic there are pics on here of a 3 round group I did at 100 yards that you can easily cover with a penny or even a 5 pence. I altered the trigger to my taste and it's great bought an aftermarket stock for it pics on here of it looks amazing. My friend bought a browning a bolt about 3 months ago The trigger was absolutely awful even turned to the lightest it was still alot like the trigger on a career 707 just heavy and clumsy. So he bought a trigger lightening kit from sportsman gun centre and that made it into a fantastic rifle. However I still preferr my Howa for looks and functions and accuracy but there wasn't much in it at all. And I think brand new it cost him £440 from swillington shooting supplies. If it were me I'd buy a nice scope and buy a brand new Howa they are fantastic and a joy to shoot I've shot bunnies out to 300 yards no problems.

I havnt seen the redfield or zeiss duralyt but i had a nightforce and it struggled in the lowlight so got a rid of it and bought zeiss victory 6x24x56 these do not struggle in the lowlight what ive seen and heard about the zeiss duralyt is they are more than capable i know which one i would buy this is only my opinion tho atb paul

a quick search on GT shows several decent scopes in the high end price range which are in budget leaving enough money for a new tikka or x bolt, if i was in the market for a scope I'd be looking at the used Leupold for £750 ono, good quality glass leaving enough for the gun, mod and some mounts

This subjest has been doing my head in for ages now lads.

Iv been saving for a new rifle for months an have finally at long last saved

enough to buy a decent combination of rifle scope an mod.

My budget is 2k maybe a little more at a push.

The rifles iv been mulling over are

Tikka T3 various models, Or the Browning X Bolt and now the Sako 85 model.

Sportman are doing combination deals on all the rifles with mod included and

i just cant seem to come to a definit decision as what to buy.

Get a cheaper Model like the Tikka, X Bolt and put a decent scope on it.

Or should i say naff it an buy the more expensive Sako an put a lesser scope on it an

save for a better one to go on top.

Any good guidence, advice as what to go for. As these 3 models are the ones iv had chance to handle

an get to grips with over the last few months.

I want to get it soon as possible as not for any thing to crop up as it has twice before and

i'm forced to use the money for some thing else.

DD

You dont say what for a fixed 6 S+Bender hungarian is as good a scope you need for 99% of stalking needs but if your looking for a long range crow basher then i might say go for a big nightforce.

I have said previously i am not a fan of most new rifles, quite simply i do not think they give the value in thier build. more money spent on marketing and less on engineering

For that money you could get an S&B, Zeiss or Swarovski scope which will be better glass than the Leupold.

I have Schmidt's on all my rifles.

I would recommend you don't go for any thing too fancy for field use, you don't need all the bells & whistles you would use for long range target shooting.

Mr dawg if you are stuck to go and see a rifle anywhere ill be glad to take you looked at the combos on litts website there are some decent combos have you thought about a new rifle and a second hand scope been up colins lamping its like a mud bath up there at the moment atb paul.have you tried the shop in tir-y-birth.