Why .177 needs stronger springs...

Teal

This questions was asked in the chat room and I think from GCSE physics that the answer lies in the mass of the pellet used. Obviously .22 pellets are heavier...

Conservation of momentum.

For a given energy, heavy objects will have more momentum than ligher objects (energy proportional to the square of velocity, momentum simply to velocity itself). Therefore heavier objects require less force for the same momentum.

William.

Yes this has set me pondering as well.

I think ( I had had a few by then :ernyha: ) ern said that his 177 was producing more foot/lbs in energy that a 22 version of the same gun.

IF you presume that you can interchange barrels on the same gun and that the power levels are the same ,the 177 should be travelling at the muzzle at a greater velocity, due to its smaller surface area and weight.

But even if it is travelling at a greater velocity I cannot understand how the 177 will be producing more ft/lbs energy due to the smaller projectile involved.

I can undestand that down range the 22 will have more potential energy left in it compared to a 177 due to its greater mass.

Is this a case of the energy levels are measured on a chronograph so far away from the muzzle , that is about 10' or am I still hung over from last night ????? :blink:

IF you presume that you can interchange barrels on the same gun and that the power levels are the same ,the 177 should be travelling at the muzzle at a greater velocity, due to its smaller surface area and weight.

The ft/lbs will be lower with a .177 I think, drops off about 2ft/lbs...

How this subject started was when i mentioned that i had replaced the spring in my BSA Superstar with a Theoben gas ram.

When i ordered it the first question was what bore is the gun, .177 or .22.

When i asked what the differance was, i was told that the .177 unit is more powerful than the .22 unit to give the same ft/lbs and to fit the .177 unit in a .22 would take the gun over the limit of 12ft/lbs by about 1.

I found this a bit strange as my first reaction was that it woud be the other way round.

Now the masters of Physics seem to have answered my question, thank you. :ernyha:

Ern the easiest way to describe it is if i threw a cricket ball at you it would hurt,if i threw a ping pong ball using the same throw(energy)it wouldnt.Therefore the lighter .177 pellet needs more energy behind it to achive 12ft/lbs

A .22 at 12 ft/lb is approx. 600 fps whereas a .177 at 12 ft/lb is approx 800 fps. To accelerate the pellet to the higher velocity requires more air or a greater pressure of air despite the lighter pellet weight. Hence a pcp gives less shots in .177 and a springer requires a stronger spring.

you would think that the .22 would travel slower but would have more of a punch on impact and that a .177 would travel faster and have less of a punch but would penetrate more :ernyha: i don't personaly think you can liken it to cricket balls and pingpong balls though, also what about the ballistics of the pellet.

I reckon it's more to do with the smaller bore that the air has to be forced through.

12 ft lbs at the muzzle is 12 ft lbs at the muzzle no matter what the size of the pellet is.

The lighter pellet will not need as much force to accellorate it as a heavier pellet, but will need to be travelling faster when it leaves the muzzle for the same energy.