Rusty Shotgun Cartridges

how rusty ? what do you shoot ? clays rabbits ect ?/

if its just a light coat and not all over , it shouldnt be a problem . ive shot box fulls whilst out lamping of older carts from the depths of my garage that had a bit round edges .

just make sure you have a coin or extracter key handy incase one doesnt eject properly .

If its light, stick 'em in and use 'em

If its heavy, wire brush them off first and use them

The only thing you may find is that whatever moisture causes the end to rust may have got into primer or powder. In the latter case, just ensuring they are dry now and not holding moisture is enough. Leave them in a dry centrally heated room a few days to make sure the propellent is dry ( moist propellent usually still burns, but not 100% leaving rubbish up the barrel and giving an under-rated muzzle velocity) - while damp primers just don't fire - cut the cart up and dispose of.

• 2 years later...

ive had carts rust after a fowling session and after a really wet day fox shooting but i let the mdry and give a rub with a scouring pad just to make sure thewy cycle ok in my semi auto, if it where my over under i wouldnt bother.

went clay shooting yesterday, my mate thought he would try his side by side for a change but as it kicked so bad he gave up and used my semi.. he was clearing out his cart bag and used all sorts of left overs and loads of them where in various stages of rust and loads jammed in my semi, none of my new carts jammed

i soon learned that, what i do now is keep a couple in my pocket for a quick relaod and i use a mtm caseguard box which keeps them bone dry not had any rust issues fowling from carts stored in one of these

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p112965-mtm-case-gard-cartridge-box-s25-12-smoke-mts25/?gclid=CIeB3Muuq70CFcuWtAod_moAcA

i soon learned that, what i do now is keep a couple in my pocket for a quick relaod and i use a mtm caseguard box which keeps them bone dry not had any rust issues fowling from carts stored in one of these

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p112965-mtm-case-gard-cartridge-box-s25-12-smoke-mts25/?gclid=CIeB3Muuq70CFcuWtAod_moAcA

Good little pointer that - cheers.

I have two sealed lid Tupperware type boxes, fully submersible 10 rounds each (from the supermarket) they fit the front two pockets of my rucksack or can be shut up and chucked in the main sack after flight is over. Though i tend to have a couple of heavier stuff or lighter stuff in my pocket for a quick change of plan if geese come in while ducking or the reverse. On flight the box is open within easy reach and as such can still get a bit of rain etc. No point having spare shells you cant get to. Light rust is fine but season before last I had a few swims and I always junk those shells and they aint cheap