Getting my FAC

MG6065

Hi

i've definitly decided I'm going to apply for my FAC. im 17 and i hold a SGC. i'll be 18 in november so my thinking is that although ive still got a while until im 18, if i get it sent off now by the time it gets processed, land checked etc i wont have long to wait. my sgc took 14 weeks so god knows what this could take, but it will definitly be worth the wait and im obviously in no rush.

im planning on shooting on my dads and uncles land. its mainly rabbits ill be after and the odd close fox if needed.

Yesterday I went into my local gunshop and had a good chat witht the bloke in there about getting my FAC, i explained my age etc what i wanted and he saw so problem in me getting one granted and advised getting a 22. rimfire, but also applying for a .17 hmr but not getting one until later on after i have some experience with a 22.

this sounds good to me.

my questions are on my application forms what do i write in the boxes regarding the guns wanted? do i write '22lr with sound mod' or what? and on the 17 do i write '17hmr with sound mod'? also he said to ask to store 750 and buy 500, is this a good idea?

also i will need to get an ammo safe, can thisbe a normal one from say b&q or does it have to be a more expensive, fancy one?

do you think i will get it granted? the land that will be shot consists of fairly big fields with thick hedges and lots of hills, not particulary flat, what are thoughts?

thanks very much.

your ammo numbers will be fine you write 22rf plus sound mod for use in pest control, yes the b and q safes are fine just bolt it above your cabinet the land should be fine do you no if its all ready bin checked for fac if so you should be fine good luck with the 10 week plus wait

all the best swiss

Thanks, I'm not sure if it's been checked, people have shot it with a 22 before but i don't know of legal or not? How fussy are they on the land? Also what is an open or close ticket? Cheers

A closed condition which you will most likely get first time, means you can only shoot on land which has been approved by the police for the calibre in question and where you have permission. An open condition allows you to shoot anywhere you deem to be safe/legal, even if it hasn't been checked by the police (again provided you have the land owners permission).

The whole land clearance thing is a bit strange and not consistently implemented across all forces. You've already said it's hilly, which is good :good: Forget the thick hedges - not a safe backstop, even for a .22. You never know if someone is picking blackberries or whatever on the other side. The police will look at roads, dwellings, footpaths and the general topography, and may quiz you on your knowledge of these and what constitutes a safe shot. But unless the land is tiny, you should get it cleared for .22.

I think you've got a good chance, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks very much , that should be good then! There is a 7 acre field , with a large hill and a small stream at rhe bottom, it's a valley really, it's absolutely heaving with rabbits you just really cannot get near them? Do you think this field would get granted? Obviously you haven't seen it but from what I've said what would you say? Cheers

Thanks very much , that should be good then! There is a 7 acre field , with a large hill and a small stream at rhe bottom, it's a valley really, it's absolutely heaving with rabbits you just really cannot get near them? Do you think this field would get granted? Obviously you haven't seen it but from what I've said what would you say? Cheers

7 acres is a little small but I've heard of smaller getting cleared for .22 rimfire. The way you describe it sounds OK, but it's up to the police at the end of the day.

A closed condition which you will most likely get first time, means you can only shoot on land which has been approved by the police for the calibre in question and where you have permission. An open condition allows you to shoot anywhere you deem to be safe/legal, even if it hasn't been checked by the police (again provided you have the land owners permission).

The whole land clearance thing is a bit strange and not consistently implemented across all forces. You've already said it's hilly, which is good :good: Forget the thick hedges - not a safe backstop, even for a .22. You never know if someone is picking blackberries or whatever on the other side. The police will look at roads, dwellings, footpaths and the general topography, and may quiz you on your knowledge of these and what constitutes a safe shot. But unless the land is tiny, you should get it cleared for .22.

I think you've got a good chance, good luck and let us know how it goes.

If you get a new permission that is cleared for the calibre you have on your closed FAC do you need permision from the FEO to shoot this new land

If you get a new permission that is cleared for the calibre you have on your closed FAC do you need permision from the FEO to shoot this new land

When my fac was closed and I got any new land I just emailed my flo the address of the farm and if it was already cleared and I had permission I could just go ahead and shoot it, Im under Durham Police. :good:

No is the answer, too many regions look at size rather than topography, daft really but the immediate answer is likely to be no. Do you have more acreage or is that it?

I hope your region uses their brains and look at the situation, but I wouldn't bet on it! :no::no::no:

this sounds good to me.

do i write '22lr with sound mod' or what? and on the 17 do i write '17hmr with sound mod'? also he said to ask to store 750 and buy 500, is this a good idea?

also i will need to get an ammo Safe

Best thing about your application is that it isn't an exam. It's a starting point for your meeting with the FEO. To be honest there is no really wrong answer...

I was advised to write .22LR and mod separately on mine as some forces pay more attention to the moderator than others. Manufacturer, model etc

Ammo, look on YouTube before buying a safe from b&q. I got a safer and less expensive key safe from screwfix at the same time as my fixings. It is bolted to the top of my cabinet.

I asked for 650 storage and buy 600. Was told for vermin, not target. Local policy is 650 / 500

Good Luck and dont stress too much.

This is one of those rare cases where size isn't everything!

My main permission is on a 200 acre farm cleared for .22 and 17HMR. Good shoot with lots of safe shots.

I was invited to shoot a 300 acre farm but declined as I didn't consider there to be any shots worth losing my ticket for. It's cleared for rimfires but I wasn't happy so I declined.

I was asked to shoot a 60 acre equestrian property and told by the owner, "the police had cleared it for rifles". No chance. A quick call to the police showed it had only been cleared for FAC air. So I arranged the permission for some airgunners from the airgun forum.

So it's not the size - it's what you do with it that counts :blush: