Ward & Son shotgun questions

Amexian

I recently decided (with the wife’s help) to limit my gun collection to a rifle and 2 shotguns – my.22lr, an o/u and a sbs. I’ve got a CZ452 and a Winchester 101 so recently I started looking around for an English sbs to complete the list. I found a Ward and Sons 12 bore (non ejector, auto safety, ¾ and full, 65mm) at a local dealer that although in absolutely filthy condition looked like it might fit the bill in terms of weight, balance and fit. I got £95 off and picked the gun up for £200. I’ve just spent 2 weeks stripping, cleaning and refurbishing it and it looks a treat now, just need to get out and shoot it.

Does anyone know the history of the maker? I’ve scanned the interweb and can’t find much at all. Anyone else out there own one?

I’d also be interested to know if I paid the right money for it.

Any and all input much appreciated as always – thanks.

Once again from Vol 2 of British Gunmakers:-

J.Ward and Sons Gun and Rifle makers

24-27 Bath Street, Snow Hill , Birmingham.1859

Bath Street and 2 St Marys Row 1874 - 1932

St Marys Row 1933

Warwickshire Gun and Manufacturing Co.LTd 1938

Ward and Sons 1938 - 64.

Looks as if your boxlock non-ejector is a typical soundly made Birmingham Gun.

Blackpowder

• 7 years later...

Yes it was my family that made your gun - Ward & Sons. The company was founded in 1824 and it was located in the gun quarter of Birmingham, always very close to other related businesses. They were also one of the best whistle manufacturers in the UK which you can see why when looking at the tubular construction of Victorian police whistles and shotgun barrels. There is a document on Henry Arthur Ward and Ward &Sons which is entitled something like Whistle  Museum if you google Henry Arthur Ward, which should assist you with a bit more information.

Kind regards

Christopher Heaton-Ward

On 16/01/2012 at 14:05, Amexian said:

I recently decided (with the wife’s help) to limit my gun collection to a rifle and 2 shotguns – my.22lr, an o/u and a sbs. I’ve got a CZ452 and a Winchester 101 so recently I started looking around for an English sbs to complete the list. I found a Ward and Sons 12 bore (non ejector, auto safety, ¾ and full, 65mm) at a local dealer that although in absolutely filthy condition looked like it might fit the bill in terms of weight, balance and fit. I got £95 off and picked the gun up for £200. I’ve just spent 2 weeks stripping, cleaning and refurbishing it and it looks a treat now, just need to get out and shoot it.

Does anyone know the history of the maker? I’ve scanned the interweb and can’t find much at all. Anyone else out there own one?

I’d also be interested to know if I paid the right money for it.

Any and all input much appreciated as always – thanks.

Obviously the choice is still many and varied but incereasingly becoming restricted by the 2&1/2" chamber - it is stamped as that and not 65mm? - but you might just find that some Gamebore Super Game High Bird cartridges suit.