New HW97k ready for action. Somebody give a downlow on rabbits! I

Browning_Bai

I know where they are, but I just want to know how to go about it!

Have you zeroed your scope at a given distance eg 30metres, can you hit say a 1.5" target time and time again ?

Are the rabbits out in the daytime ?

Can you walk/stalk to within say 25-30 metres,

if not,

Can you sit/lay up and snipe from say 25-30metres.

Edited by TaxiDriver

Right guys, well basically, not blowing my own trumpet i'm not a half bad shot, sight is zeroed to 40m and I can hit the underside of one of those small coke cans at 40m, and a 2p at 30ish.m. The rabbits are about at sunrise and night, I want to know how to stalk them, where to hit them and how to find others! Any help would be great :)

What caliber you using? 22 or 177? 40m is quite some distance for a sub 12 airgun, so accuraccy and consitancy would be and absolute must. you would be better off with a zero @ 30 yrds and stalk to within this distance to ensure a humane dispatch ( more so as you have obviously never shot at live quarry) also it would be wise to pick up a range finder, you may well find that what you think is 40 meters is only 25 yards! Range estimation is an essential tool with the airgun so get to know your distances

As far as pellet placement goes draw an imaginary line from the rabbits eye to the base of its ear, your point of impact needs to be inbetween.

Finding more would be a case of doing a recce around your permission and look out for tell tale signs of rabbit activity (droppings, diggings, burrows etc)

Always stalk downwind, they will smell you a mile off if the wind is behind you. Sound must be kept to an absoloute min, walk softly and keep a low profile.

Thats the basics but im sure if you need it in more detail someone else will help

The key to becoming successful is PRACTICE PRACTICE & even more PRACTICE

ATB

you may well find that what you think is 40 meters is only 25 yards! Range estimation is an essential tool with the airgun.

on my zeroing range its very easy to find ranges because i have it paced out, in a field its a different matter as you have nothing to judge your range by in a grass field. Walk about the permission and use land marks from point to point to help you range find, its cheaper than a range finder. ie from the gate to the barn is about 50 yards, and from the barn to the fallen tree is about a hundred and fifty yards. It depends on how big your permission is but i found it helped me.

when i started i found most of my shots were doing severe damage to the grass about twenty foot infront of the rabbits.

When stalking use dips in the ground and long grass to hide behind, a rabbits eye point of view is about 30 cm of the ground so when stalking the smallest of ridges in the ground can be used to your advantage.

Now the first thing you should do is practise, practise, practise and practise, drill those card targets. When you can get 10 shots in a 25mm diameter circle at your zero range you are ready to take on live quarry! It is essential you get this accurate.

Rabbit Target

You could just practise on the target above (see target 30014 on the list).

Your max range is the one you can consistently hit.

If i were you, id get some paper and draw round a 2p peice,(colour in the interior makes it easer to see).

Id have 5-10 shots at each circle with one circle at

20yds

25yds

30yds

35yds

40yds

When you don't get all your pellets in the circle you have found your max accurate range. Remember to do this test from a shooting position you would use in the field, e.g. not a bench rest.

With a rabbit you have to head shoot with a sub 12ft/lb air rifle.

Remember the lower the scope mag the easier it is to shoot accuratly freehand.

Good luck :good: Just out of interest do you know how and are you willing to dispatch by hand in the event of not making a clean kill :hmm:

Believe so, Neck break? or pellet through head? Going with a mate, so he should be able to show me!

Defo going to try the 2p at multiple range thing! my grouping is good and consistent at 30 yards, but it seems a great way to know how to adjust yourself for longer shorter shots.!!