Web Hosting Recommendations?

Markio

A while back my wife registered a domain name (with www.123-reg.co.uk), now she want a web site (it's for work, and nothing 'artistic' before anyone starts! :lol: ). The same company do a starter pack at £2.29 a month, now is that reasonable?

It's been a while since i looked into anything of the sorts so i'm asking after the PW collective for some guidance please.

BTW, I intend to use PHP Fusion. It seems the 123reg lot have support for that on the Linux server.

What do you say chaps?

If you only intend it for one basic website then you will probably get by with the 123 Reg package, I run my own so have no experience with them, but have noticed a lot of companies now are advertising unlimited features but throttling something else to keep you in check. As I say though for a small basic website it probably won't matter.

Most places will offer similar packages at similar prices, at least if you keep it in the same place as the domain its easy to manage in one control panel. If you search you will find some companies that offer free hosting, a lot require ads on it though, we did offer free Ad Free hosting but very limited like a trial package.

One thing to bear in mind is that the servers the hosting is on are UK based, which rules out 1and1 internet because they are not. Only reason I mention this, because this is a factor in search engines now.

Hope that helps.

Ive recently asked about registering a domain and having a web site and was recommended one.com

I know diddly about anything technical and did eventually manage the registration process.

Looks promising for the low package. Bargain in fact.

what is the website for is it e-commerce or photo's etc

e-commerce i guess, it's actually for her Avon, for the benefit of the team she's build up, it'll be text based (no photos really), information, news, recruiting etc.

Edited by Markio

Looks promising for the low package. Bargain in fact.

e-commerce i guess, it's actually for her Avon, for the benefit of the team she's build up, it'll be text based (no photos really), information, news, recruiting etc.

if its purely for information why not use facebook, twitter and other free social networking sites/

If its for selling items or placing orders then thats a whole different ball game

if its purely for information why not use facebook, twitter and other free social networking sites/

If its for selling items or placing orders then thats a whole different ball game

Valid point but not everyone is on facebook, twitter. For the recruitment side of things its better to advertise and link to a domain name than facebook page (although she will still use facebook too). It won't be for trading.

Just be aware the free site isn't quite free, theres a setup charge and vat (I think) anyways came to about £11 for the basic package.

Ah yes, saw that, £9 for the 1st year, domain shifting and hosting are free for 1st year. Not bad to be honest. And at 90p a month after it's pretty good, others are well over double that.

If you only intend it for one basic website then you will probably get by with the 123 Reg package, I run my own so have no experience with them, but have noticed a lot of companies now are advertising unlimited features but throttling something else to keep you in check. As I say though for a small basic website it probably won't matter.

Most places will offer similar packages at similar prices, at least if you keep it in the same place as the domain its easy to manage in one control panel. If you search you will find some companies that offer free hosting, a lot require ads on it though, we did offer free Ad Free hosting but very limited like a trial package.

One thing to bear in mind is that the servers the hosting is on are UK based, which rules out 1and1 internet because they are not. Only reason I mention this, because this is a factor in search engines now.

Hope that helps.

Certainly does, cheers.

I know sod all about web sites, so I paid for mine cost £150 a year plus the start up and design costs. Have a look. www.dreamcatcherappaloosas.co.uk

FC

Nice site. :good: I'll be ok setting up, albeit rather rusty.