Infra red filters

30-6

I know an ordinary lamp bulb when fitted with an infra - red filter will enhance night vision optics, but will LED type torches do the same ? I tried an LED type torch with a home made infra - red filter and it didn't seem to do anything ( or very little ), and i notice that cluson do not advertise ir filters for their LED torches. Any answers ?

I have some bits of infra red sheets left over which are big enough to fit a cluson master lite supreme, that's why i ask. My friend cut some for the " bulb " type lamps and they work great, so why not with an LED type torch ? If i go into night vision more seriously i would go for the dedicated lasers type , but at the moment i am just playing around.

LED lamps are very efficient because they don't waste any energy producing heat, only light. Infrared radiation is very basically invisible light in the form of heat so incandescent bulbs can be used ad they produce a lot of heat, and light is almost a by-product.

My understanding is that this isn't quite right, visible light led's pretty much just produce visible light which is why they don't work well with ir filters. Infra red led's only produce light above 750nm making them invisible but don't produce heat, ir lasers produce a huge amounts of light but no heat.

I believe infra red heat radiation is in the longer wave ir from 1000nm-1mm.

Edited by bennyblanco