Keeping a dog in range

captainhastings

Hi I am trying too turn my 5 year old cocker into a ferreting dog. Is there a way too train the dog too keep with in a certain range.

On our first few trips he was quite good responding too call and swinging around but today today he refused too listen and took off for a fair few hundred yards before swinging around when he was ready. I got fed up of constantly trying too call him and put him on a lead and went home.

I need him with in range of say 50 yards ideally

Any pointers welcome

Thank you

Sounds like you are about 4 half years to late in training but never to late as they say

This certainly wont happen over night

I would try by keeping him on the lead and then only time off would be up a country lane

as soon as he his out to 10Yrd call him back praise and away again continue this.

If he has done is owne thing up till now free hunting out of range etc i wouldent even bother trying

What is you end goal with him do you want him to chase bolted rabbits and return to hand ?

Edited by Tom&Dexter

He has never done any hunting before just been house dog with walks around the town down the beach etc so this is new too him

The objective is too get him too flush out and put rabbits too ground and hopefully mark the holes.

Bit of a long shot but he has a natural hunting instinct and enters cover fine putting up woodcock that he has never seen before in his life.

The plan is too spend the summer drumming the basics into him.

Oh no guns involved just ferrets

Edited by captainhastings

Well if he ain't done no free hunting you may stand a chance. :hmm: You have got to get him on the whistle, stop return etc before he get the taste of hunting.Because when its really into hunting you will have no chance of stopping him.Good luck start from scratch try and get some help off someone who knows how to train dogs local to you :good:

Don't know where you live if anywhere near me i could help.

Well if he ain't done no free hunting you may stand a chance. :hmm: You have got to get him on the whistle, stop return etc before he get the taste of hunting.Because when its really into hunting you will have no chance of stopping him.Good luck start from scratch try and get some help off someone who knows how to train dogs local to you :good:

Don't know where you live if anywhere near me i could help.

Thanks eccles I am in Carmarthenshire just a bit too far unfortnately. I think I am trying too run before I walk as I am only just getting a handle on his basic healing. He does the site and stay bit ok.

After a few trips in the field he seems to have switched into hunting mode and now when walking on a lead he just wants too dive into the nearest hedge.

Anyway I think I need too get the basic ground work in first

ah just found this site which is local too me http://www.gundogs-wales.co.uk/index.htm just sent them an emai

Edited by captainhastings

You've got a lot of good gundog lads down there.Look up the Carmarthenshire Gundog society Used to be a member had a few runs in trials with them.Elvin Thomas was secretary,bought a few dogs from down there over the years.Good luck you know where i am if you need some advice.Be down that way soon waiting for a call for a new cocker pup. :good:

A 5 year old and a Cocker ain't going to be an easy train..may have to find a system that "he" discovers that works for you both..if he can pick up from you were to look for rabbits then he may start to trust you enough to stay close and watch..chasing rabbits should come natural . If its something you do regular and enjoy..you may ultimately have to invest in another dog ..but if you dont try you wont know..If the dog likes balls you can show him one and put it in your pocket..faking intent to get it out when his mind wanders so he re focuses on you and comes back in..but that's only going to last so long ...intelligent little dogs Cockers with a low boredom threshold

Thanks eccles I am in Carmarthenshire just a bit too far unfortnately. I think I am trying too run before I walk as I am only just getting a handle on his basic healing. He does the site and stay bit ok.

After a few trips in the field he seems to have switched into hunting mode and now when walking on a lead he just wants too dive into the nearest hedge.

Anyway I think I need too get the basic ground work in first

ah just found this site which is local too me http://www.gundogs-wales.co.uk/index.htm just sent them an emai

When Huw replies - listen to what he has to say - he is a really nice guy and knows his stuff - if he says forget it - then forget it. He will be open and honest with you!

Mike

When Huw replies - listen to what he has to say - he is a really nice guy and knows his stuff - if he says forget it - then forget it. He will be open and honest with you!

Mike

Yep I took him too Huw's class on Sunday and as you say seems a very nice chap and it was an hour well spent. Excellent opportunity too get my dog accustomed too other dogs as well which he is not good at (my fault)

Huw said he is a show breed cocker which I new but hopefully that wont cause too much of a problem for his potentially future rabbiting career