Help me choose a new O/U

suth82

I have decided to treat myself to a new shotgun for my 30th birthday which i plan to keep and use as my main gun until at least my 40th birthday! I have been shooting with a Beretta Ultralight for the past 5 years which I really like but its a bit lighweight for shooting any amount of a cartridges in a day.

So after researching online and lots of looking on guntrader I had decided to look at a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 Deluxe Game scene with 1/4 & 1/2 fixed chokes. I had decided to go for a game gun with fixed chokes as I am getting into a bad habbit of thinking of changing my chokes every time I miss a shot!

I went into my local dealer to have a look today and surprisingly they had the exact Silver Pigeon which I had been thinking about in stock, however my eye was instantly drawn to a SV10 Perennia 3 sitting next to it, it stood out as a much better looking gun but it was a left hander so no use to me however it got me thinking.

I know the SV10 only comes in Multi Choke but I am now swaying towards it after seeing one. The SV10 3 is a bit more than the Silver Pigeon but I have seen SV10 1 on guntrader for a more reasonable price. Has anyone seen the SV10 1 next to a 3 to compare the wood and engraving?

I am just looking for some advise on which route to take?? Stick with the silver pigeon, spent allot on a SV10 3 or go for a SV10 1?

Thanks, Paul

The sv10 is relatively new and the action is slightly modified than that of the 68 series. So in a sense you can take that as they've improved it or you can stick with a 68new action and know that rarely does anything go wrong and if it does parts will be easy to come by. You wont go wrong with either I shouldn't think. I may be wrong but I believe the barrels on the sv10 are optima bored? Which means there over bored which is supposedly better for recoil and patterns. As for the chokes, dont think about them, if you do you'll blame the fixed chokes for being too open or too tight and the multi will never be the right pair for that bird you missed. You could even look at S/h higher grade silver pigeons if you want them too look nice.

Edited by wj939

I have the SV10 perennia 3 with kick off... can't really fault it. It fits me perfectly and the kick off system really works. I can go through hundreds of carts and not feel it in the shoulder. It is available without the KO system if preferred.

The receiver on the SV10 is apparently built much stronger than the old system but I doubt you will ever put it through enough to find out how accurate that claim is. The forend has a self adjustment system too which means it should never become loose through use.

At the end of the day it comes down to fit and comfort, not looks... it will spend most of it's life in a dark metal cabinet.. If you want very pretty at the budget level you are at then look away from Beretta.

Edited by Vipa