chest infections

VULTURE

Hi, was addmitted to hospital yesterday with a nasty chest infection,what i want to know is why do i keep getting these infections? I do suffer badly from Asthma and have to take steroids regulary, don't frequent places where you mix with large numbers of people,kids etc

Any doctors,nurses on here have any opinions on this?

Cheers Vulture

Having asthma ain't going to help nor the steroids. Have they screwed your immune system in some way - what are the side effects of steroids?

Eating a good healthy diet ensuring the intake of vitamins and minerals is going to help build your immune system - plus fresh air - great believer in that and not being cooped up in dry centrally heated environments.

Good luck and hope you shake it off

I'm asthmatic too. I got in to a cycle like that a few years ago. No sooner got over one than got another, seemed like I had Pleurisy or Pneumonia every few months. I think most of it was stress, stressful job and stressful marriage. Of course you don't see it at the time. I ended up so run down I got pneumonia and septicemia together and very nearly died.

Taking anti-biotics repeatedly doesn't help long term either as they kill the good bacteria along with the bad.

I've got no idea about your circumstances obviously but maybe its something you should look at, you're no good to anyone dead.

Hi, was addmitted to hospital yesterday with a nasty chest infection,what i want to know is why do i keep getting these infections? I do suffer badly from Asthma and have to take steroids regulary, don't frequent places where you mix with large numbers of people,kids etc

Cheers Vulture

I am also an asthmatic on regular steroids and a retired nurse, will that do? :lol: Before I retired, when I worked regularly in hospitals, I got less infections. Now I don't mix with people as much, I get more. Maybe it is because the less you mix with people, the less your immune system is exposed to bacteria/virus infections and therefore is more vulnerable to the nasty ones when they come along. Dunno your age, but if you are over 50 you are more vulnerable anyway as you get older The trick is even if you are healthy, make sure you stay as fit as possible, you know - all the old ones "don't stay in the damp too long", as your mum would say, etc.... Also obvious, try not to get in places which can irritate your lungs - smoky, dusty, mouldy environments, if you can possibly avoid them. It may also be worth talking to your GP/Asthma Nurse to see if a peak flow meter would help, if you monitor lung function twice a day, you can often see a chest problem coming before you feel ill, and they are not expensive. Also, have a chat with your GP (if you haven't already) and see if they will let you keep a spare course of steroids and antibiotics at home. My GP supports this and when my lung function drops or I start to cough up nasty :sick: , I can start immediately and just let them know to replace my back-ups - I have stopped a couple of really nasty infections that would have had me in hospital that way. All the best mate, hope you feel better soon..

I have asthma and COPD. Steroids/antibiotics apparently kill ALL the bacteria in the gut - the good the bad and the ugly and you eventually get oral thrush. I wish my doctor had told me to replace the good bacteria that was killed - which depleted my imune system - by eating plain or probiotic yougurt (Google it now).

Since adding it to my regular diet I have stopped getting the recurring infections. I'm guessing doctors get paid for all the extra visits you have to make to their practice so it's a good earner.

Cheers Vulture

So you were in hospital yesterday, a place which is full of doctors and nurses......but you come onto a shooting forum, a place which is not

full of doctors and nurses, to ask the question?

My Doctor reckons this is the worst year he has ever seen for coughs and chest problems.I have no immune system and work in a primary school so I am at maximum risk during the colder months-I sometimes use a throat spray that is supposed to kill germs before they reach my lungs-seems to work for me.