Cocker doesn't like the car?

jackar7

Hi All

I have a 12 month cocker and from a training point of view she heels off the lead, stops and sits on the whistle, hunts extremely well, retrieves etc etc, however when I try to get her in the car, she stays sitting and if I give her encouragement to jump in she looks away. I then go to her and in he end, end up picking her up and putting her in the back but she cowers as though for some reason she doesn't like the car. Once in she's fine.. I have climbed into the car and given encouragement but she's just not keen.

Can any of you offer some advice so that I can cure this bit, I am sure it's something simple but I missing something.

Your help is appreciated!

Many thanks Tony

If you've ever watched Cesar Millan he sorts dogs out with this same problem all the time, if you have Sky take a look channel 528 and you'll see, also i believe he has some info on his website.

You can use high value treats such as meat, sausage, chicken to encourage the dog into the car. It's important that when the dog is anxious you don't give her any affection though as you will only enhance her anxiety.

feed the dog its meal in the car every morning/night ,which ever time you feed ,untill it wants to jump in.

As above, also dont take it on long drives until it wants to get in for short ones and drive like an old biddy on the way, make it a real good place for the dog (park,beach,field full of game etc). If its been on a long drive with nothing good at the end then a couple trips to the vet, can you blame it?

My springer was like this for a while; I had to lift her into the boot of the car for about half a year until she got the confidence to jump in herself. I gave her treats and lots of encouragement when I lifted her in.

I think the reason my Springer wasn't keen on the car is that I had to take her to the Vet at about 14 weeks due to an infected leg, so I think she considered the car as being a bad place. Now she considers the car as a day hunting or a long walk :good: