How's best to roost shoot??

jez28

go an hour before dark theres no secerts upto you to wait till they land or if there just passing through to another area take them in flight camo up defo your face they can see you looking up through them trees like a beacon dont leave till dark you will be suppised how many you can bag in a short space of time good luck :good:

Great tip there from art school stand near pigeon poo he means or feathers,also pick a wood that has an abundance of warm trees (if you have a choice)especially ferns,pigeons would rather be in a warm wood than an open freezing one. Also look out for trees which hold food eg oaks or ivy trees, Obviously try and find a nice gap in which to wait,then let the shooting commence! It helps if you know a wood that the pigeons are frequently roosting in too maybe do a recce a day or so before to watch where they are going.

Good luck!

Ps we've noticed the, going back early to roost at our perms even as early as 15.00!

Edited by tomhw100

went yesterday for the first time omg

as soon 4oclock come i couldint reload faster enough

had 35 ou of 52, in an hour becuase :blush: i haveint picked up the airrifle for a wyle

make shure you get well camo"d up face vail made a big diffrince

i fownd, will be haveing a bash agane on nexsat with old hastsan 12g :good:

Edited by rapid basher

go an hour before dark theres no secerts upto you to wait till they land or if there just passing through to another area take them in flight camo up defo your face they can see you looking up through them trees like a beacon dont leave till dark you will be suppised how many you can bag in a short space of time good luck :good:

:blink:

Maybe just me ???

If its with an air rifle then yes, wait til they land, shotgun is a little unsporting to wait until they land, though pest control is pest control

i have found waiting for them to land is not always a good idea anyway becasue when they land 9 x out of 10 they will land behind a big branch, lots of twigs or you just wont see them untill they fly off ! i find the best time to shoot them is just before they land when there wings are in full strech :good:

Always have a recey prior to the day you are roost shooting, the recey should tell you whether there are birds using the wood and what flight line they are using.

Always turn up early (about 2 1/2 hours prior to dark) to find where they have been roosting, you will notice droppings and feathers. If you have access to lofting decoys then these can be really handy. When you have found the area they have been roosting, stand on the downwind side (birds need to fly into the wind to land) and find a gap in the trees where you can shoot the birds before they land. Always make sure you are well camoed, especially face mask, as you will be looking up in the sky and pigeons will notice your face from a mile away if it ain't covered.

I generally use 6's or 7's in 32g for roosting depending on the height of the trees. Also enjoy yourself, roost shooting can provide some of the best sport especially on a windy evening.

Always have a recey prior to the day you are roost shooting, the recey should tell you whether there are birds using the wood and what flight line they are using.

Always turn up early (about 2 1/2 hours prior to dark) to find where they have been roosting, you will notice droppings and feathers. If you have access to lofting decoys then these can be really handy. When you have found the area they have been roosting, stand on the downwind side (birds need to fly into the wind to land) and find a gap in the trees where you can shoot the birds before they land. Always make sure you are well camoed, especially face mask, as you will be looking up in the sky and pigeons will notice your face from a mile away if it ain't covered.

I generally use 6's or 7's in 32g for roosting depending on the height of the trees. Also enjoy yourself, roost shooting can provide some of the best sport especially on a windy evening.

Ditto apart from I use 30g Eley 6.5

I don't have a face mask though does it make a huge difference?

Ditto apart from I use 30g Eley 6.5

I don't have a face mask though does it make a huge difference?

The difference it makes is quite big; you are constantly looking at the sky to look for birds flighting and the whiteness of your face will be like a beacon. However, if you have a peaked camo cap it should do the trick as the peak will break up the outline of your face.