Newbie looking for advice

JimD93

Good evening everyone,

New to the forum and new to this fantastic hobbie. Just about to receive my shotgun ticket (about time like) and I'm faced with a wary decision on what I should buy for my first gun. I'm looking for a 12g over and under, I will be using it for Clays in summer and hopefully game and possibly wildfowling once I get a bit of experience under my belt. A budget of around 300-400 pounds would be ideal but if I need to spend a bit more I will consider. Any advice will be muchly appreiciated.

Regards James (East Yorkshire)

Dont worry about what make or model you buy. Go to a shop and handle as many guns as you can. Buy the one that feels right. If you can, go to a shop with a clay ground attached as these will often be happy to let you try before you buy.

i think thats some good advice they are ok at humberside shooting ground but dont let them sell you some thing you dont want? you can try guns out there good luck im going down there sat just for a look as i am passing by :good:

Good evening everyone,

New to the forum and new to this fantastic hobbie. Just about to receive my shotgun ticket (about time like) and I'm faced with a wary decision on what I should buy for my first gun. I'm looking for a 12g over and under, I will be using it for Clays in summer and hopefully game and possibly wildfowling once I get a bit of experience under my belt. A budget of around 300-400 pounds would be ideal but if I need to spend a bit more I will consider. Any advice will be muchly appreiciated.

Regards James (East Yorkshire)

Plenty of guns about for that sort of money, which will do you ok for clays and game.

Your problem may come finding a gun suitable for 'fowling (unless you have deep pockets and can afford to NOT shoot steel loads) with that budget.

You'll really need a min. 3" chambered gun, and one which is proofed for steel shot.

If you can go to £450/500 there are quite a few on Guntrader at the moment. Your best bet would be the Lanber Sporting Deluxe or the Bettinsoli Diamond imo. Both guns will do all you want, including wildfowling if you decide to give it a go.