sat morning sunday afternoon

mrpip

Picked up some pigeon shooting on an as & when required basis 2 weeks ago, the field is next to a farm I shoot, there has been a good number feeding on it all winter, but the owner had never allowed any shooting in the past. Called in at the farm, talking to the eldest son about shooting etc & about the field in question, found out it had been sold the year before to a farmer just up the road. Went straight to the new owners farm driving down the lane was followed by a large Alsatian there was another on a chain in the yard, & a nasty looking mongrel roaming about barking. No one came out of the house & there was no way I was getting out of the landie, so I went to turn round & the Alsatian tried to bite the front tyres. I don’t like phoning for permission but decided in this case it would be the best idea, the farmers wife answered & after explaining what I wanted she gave me his mobile. Managed to get hold of him straight away, I just asked for a day on them as there was a good number still hitting the field & he agreed, he said he didn’t get much trouble with pigeon & just requested that if I wanted to shoot anytime in the future that I should give him a ring to let him know. Gave it a full day & picked up 28 which is not a bad bag for this area, decided to give them another go this weekend as I could only shoot till dinner & its only a couple of mile from our house. At the other end of the field there is a 3 acre piece joined on with a few oaks in the corner, about 20 yds had been stripped into the point of the corner so I stuck rotor well out & put 5 deeks on cradles at the edge of the high rape. Pigeon came in over my head in ones & twos & dropped straight in, easy shots picked up 18, packed up at 12 ish, lovely morning out.

post-13005-0-90263600-1332185041.jpg

post-13005-0-27617000-1332185061.jpg

Went out Sunday afternoon, different farm set up on a large block of rape bordered on one side by a row of willows & a shallow ditch, with the amount of rain we had on Sat night the ditch had six inch of water in it, found a dry spot in a gap between 2 willows & set up the same as yesterday 5 deeks & rotor, shot the first pigeon at half past 1 then nothing for an hour. Had the odd bird showing interest & by 4 o’clock only had 8 in the bag but noticed a few starting to move about in the distance. Started coming in 1’s & 2’s pulling them in from a good distance away, had some cracking shooting & finished the day at half 5 ish with the best right & left I’ve pulled off for a long time, one to remember. Ended up with 22 picked well pleased, nice end to a lovely weekend. All shot with 32 gram steel 5’s for the hawk man

post-13005-0-92876000-1332185124.jpg

nice bit of shooting and a bit more to shoot on i,d call that a result :good:

Cheers for replys lads, met the farmer turned out to be a proper gent, thanked me for putting the hours in, theres a couple of places were it looks patchy so could get another shot on it, had second dressing on friday last week probably upto me waist by this weekend :lol: