22-250 Zero Range and what Ammo?

adam f

1 inch high at 100yds you'll be bang on at 200yds and about 4inch low at 300 ,so basically it's aim dead on out to just over 200 and a little hold over at the futher ones should = lots of dead foxes :good: as for ammo it's whatever suits your rifle,try a few brands and see which group the best,I used to use Hornady 55g Vmax ,devastating on charlie.

Jase.

Edited by jason kaye

My variation arrived last week, and rifle is sorted so need to work out what range to zero my 22-250 at and also what ammo to buy.

No target shooting just foxes.

Advice please?

What I did with my .243 was to try 3 different makes of round to see how I got on with them.

I settled on a Remington 75gn round for foxes, the trick is not to rush the zeroing process as the temptation to send lots of rounds down range and get results from a hot barrel.

A friend has a 22-250 and uses a 55gn round as quoted from the previous replies; he also has the same zero set and shoots foxes very well out to the 200 + range.

The gun is only a quarter of the process the scope/lamp combo and you!

TEH

Thanks guys - an inch high at 100 it is then.

Also - the gun is un-moderated but it is screw cut and Ive got a slot for a mod - so any particular brand youd recommend?

Get the moderator fitted ASAP. The 22/250 is VERY loud. My Tikka T3 with a Leopold

3-10/50 scope means I simply have to adjust two clicks down with mod off. (I sometimes shoot without mod to avoid reflected glare from rifle mounted lamp).

I use Winchester Silver Tips. Expensive but worth it. Very accurate and the expansion is fantastic.

1" high at 100yds does everything that Jason Kaye said in his post. That's all you need up to about 210yds.

Wait for someone to say that an inch high at 100 isn't a zero..

quite true it isnt zero.

if you think your rifle combo shoots POi at 200 yards by setting your scope inch high you must try it on the board at 200 yards to varify it as you will be surprized how far you could be out

the best way to set any combo up is to zero at 200 yards and then bring the baord back to 100 yards and see how high you rally are

setting a scope up 1 inch high at 100 yards is just guessing.

I did the exact same thing for a guy only last week,he used to be a 1 inch high at 100 yard man,once he actually saw how high he still was at 200 yards he couldnt beleieve it

dont take my word for it try it for your self

I thought if anything you would be low at 200 with an inch high "zero" at 100? I'm needing to give my 22/250 a zero this weekend so I'll give it a go :good:

thats the thing he was very high but it was a 243,but a 22.250 "usually" wants to be 1.6 inch high for a 200 ,but you cant guess you need to try it in the field,its seems people really too much on hearsay or ballistic charts and not actually real time data

I shoot 63grs sierra gameking at the moment, but before the sierra blitzking 55 grs. worked superb on Charlie. Most of the shots I do are just about 200 yrd max (275 yrd at the absolute max), so 1inch high at 100 works fine for me.

But most important advise is to try a few different makes and weights, and stick with the best combination.

• 3 weeks later...