BSA Ultra

young airgunner

any owners got any views or opinions?

I have read good reviews, I have handled one in the gun shop, the end cocking button is plastic and it looks like a toy (size is so small) other than that the build quality seems good. Would make an excellent rat basher.

Excellent little hunter and ideal for 4x4 use. The std silencer isn't overly silent tbh but will do at a push. The big downside is the fill on the .177 version is 232 bar which soon means you are part filling from a tank or a lot of effort on a pump. The .22 fills to 200 bar.

Hi James, I have a BSA Ultra. It is in a .22 and is an excellent little rifle.

Accuracy is on par with my Weihrauch HW100T, and power wise it is

virtually the same.

Have had 50p sized discs at 55 Yards in a kneeling position, and rabbits

at that distance as well.

The low 40 shot capacity is not a problem, mainly because if you manage to

hit 40 rabbits with it, you will have a struggle carrying them to your car anyways.

Nice and small for woodland shooting, i.e under low hanging trees.

The silencer is a bit noisy though, I usually swap it for my Weihrauch silencer.

I like it a lot. The "plastic" plunger at the front is in fact alloy and even if it wasn't

it wouldn't make a lot of difference.

I have rather a large scope on it at the moment, an Airmax SR12 6-24 AOIR and it

performs very well up to now.

I have changed the rubber butt-pad to a plastic one because it got "stuck" to clothing

and stopped me from lifting the rifle in a rush.

Everyone who has had a go with it has been imppressed, one bloke got one the next day

and another bloke is in the process of aquiring a .177 version for FT ing.

i was after a .177 ultra. its so confussing choosing a rifle to buy because i keep changin my mind all the time. originally i wanted an aas200, then i wanted the ultra and now im torn between the ultra and the solo. i would be wanting the rifle for hunting and for ft. if using it for ft, wouldnt it be a pain to keep havin to re-charge it?

cheers james

Can it really be that accurate? I had a play with one in Westbury Field Sports yesterday and the barrels is sooo short!

I gained another permission last night! Yipeeeee! only about 5 or 6 acres in total but next to a railway line so I figure a never ending supply of Bunnies! Very healthy ones as well after seeing them last night!

Yes it sure can. Iv'e just got in from the rifle club and it gets a bit boring

just shooting 30-40 MM discs @ 25 yards so me and a mate shoot the staples

and pins out of the paper targets.

The people who are using them don't like it, especially when we are chopping the

nylon twine that reset the 3 dropping bunnies target.

I am quite surprised at the accuracy and think it is brilliant value for money although

I got a bit sick of running to the car to fill it up with air....I am a bit lazy......

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is it me or every air rifle everyone mentions you seem to have?

And if that is so why have you asked the question "what cheap air rifle to buy?"

You also worry me with your judgement of SMK etc, they are not hunting rifles and should never be pointed at anything with a face, respect for the quarry and a CLEAN kill tell you that alone.

hi there, i am thinking about buying a bsa ultra and was wondering if any1 has one and if they could give me some information on them and if they are any good.

cheers james

Er, according to your profile information you allready have a bsa ultra ! plus a aa400! so why ask about a gun you allready have?? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

well lads i dont want to burst bubbles but i had a bad experience with 1..il start with good points, its light and verry handy but now down points you have to pump it 2 times to get a zero, i could never get pellet on pellet with mine at 30yard but can put pellet on pellet at 50 with my s10 :good: ..cockin is stupid expesially when you have the multi shot and the mags constantly mess up..if you can get it zeroed 30-40 shots is good for a hunting trip expesially the 1s ive been goin on lately cuz i aint seen nothing lol..i had a power problem with mine it went right down to 7 and a bit ft/ibs and i had to smack the front end of it to get it to shoot after a few shots..it was 2months old at the time..sent it to bsa who sent it back saying there was nothing a matter with it and they give me free of charge some nice big scratches to my stock and the rear of the action they had chisselled to get to the valve..put it under the chronograth and it was firing 11 and a bit so they had fixed it but tryed to make me look stupid by saying there was nothing a matter with it..other than that it was good for hunting when it did work and was great like members have mentioned.. if you plan on doing hft with it i wouldnt bother id go for a s200 or s400 or even a webley raider in 177 without doubt..i was gutted about my ultra, it was my 1st pcp and i was new to rifles and the gun shop and bsa took advantage of me being a newbie and not knowing my stuff but when i 1st seen the ultra it was love at 1st site..may be i just got a bad 1..ive heard many people moan about power dropin on them and the magazines messing up and on that bassis i recommend something else unless your prepared on spending the price of a ultra on a blue print from john bowket with a extended cylinder but for that money id recommend a hornet and they have regulaters so perfect for hft...sorry to of gone on just letting you know my experience..do i still like ultras?:blush:? yes but not the greaf i got off mine..

Just picked up an ultra today (under £200 new) and going great so far!

The supplied silencer does less than nothing, so was ditched for my 7" custom (having a shorter custom made for it) lovely and quiet! Over the chrono it was spot on for power, exactly 11.99ft/lb with RWS Superdomes. Seems to very accurate, shooting the staples out of my target holder at 10 yards standing!

Lovely and light until you put a huge scope on it :good:

• 1 month later...
hi there, i am thinking about buying a bsa ultra and was wondering if any1 has one and if they could give me some information on them and if they are any good.

cheers james

i've got the ultra multi fantastic rifle fitted with bigger silencer.

you dont know your shooting i'ts so silent. :yp: :good:

Just out f interest which silencer did you go for?

I have a parker-hale on mine, ugraded from the old standard lynx can they supply! :lol:

cheers james

i've got the ultra multi fantastic rifle fitted with bigger silencer.

you dont know your shooting i'ts so silent. :lol::lol:

Just out f interest which silencer did you go for?

I have a parker-hale on mine, ugraded from the old standard lynx can they supply! :friends:

not sure on spelling but its hiarac silencer. :friends: