Do you use a rangefinder?

bedwards1966

Do you use a rangefinder?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a rangefinder?

Barrelsniffer rangefinders are now issued to all snipers and sharpshooters for tour and most commanders.

I'm with you tho I was taught the old ways but the technology helps to check because I'm only human. Don't have one for vermin shooting tho I use the stadia grat on my scope

Yeh i do mention in one of my comments that they are now issued...when i did my course back in 90s we never had them then...thought i did..below from 1st page

"But if i had chance to use them..then yes i would..its an aid so why not...they do use them now but still teach them the normal way in case range finders pack in, but when i trained back in the days in 1994 we didn't have them"

Edited by barrelsniffer

Instead of always using a rangefinder..for the same pieces of land where you are sat waiting for your game/vermin to appear...make out a Range Card for that area and other areas..saves ranging every time when all you have to do is pull the card out look at it..eye ball what object you previously ranged ect ect...so easy.

Thats a great idea ! :good:

Always carry it with the .22 when a few yards can make a couple of inches difference within its usable range.

Sit out, range find a few markers at possible shooting points, and then wait. Rabbits don't always give you time to work things out!

if i am on unfamiliar ground i use one and if i am out with the 223 and laying up somewhere waiting for rabbits to show up then i use one. someone said earlier about finding it tricky to guess range on open land, i recall the first time i was up in the hill after a hare or two for the pot with my .17hmr and up there there is no features at all , no fences or nothing, i saw a hare sitting in the sun sticking out like a sore thumb, white against the brown heather. i guessed he would be about 100 yards so i held where i thought and fired, he never even blinked so i fired again, nothing, and on the 3rd shot i saw the pullet hitting in the peat about 18-20 inches low :o. after the third shot he ran off and i paced it out and i forget how far away he actually was, probably somewhere around 200-250. i was stunned by how far out i was, but with no buildings or fences around, it was easy to make a mistake. i always take the range finder on the hill now :good:

I've become curious on how many people use them in the field, and why?

I don't own one and I'm happy without, to me estimating ranges is a skill required for rifle shooting. Using a device to tell you how far away something is so you can look at a chart or dial it in seems to be taking all the skill out of the job.

Am I in the minority, or do others think this way too?

I take one when I go to a new bit of land pigeon shooting, just to confirm what i have all ready worked out! I could have shot a field the other day with a road well out of range, but chose to shoot it with a cross wind so know body could ring up and say “there is someone shooting towards the cars”

Other than that my distance judgment is quite good, when we whack a fox, we have a little side bet on the actual distance before we pace it out!

Good practice as the lads who come along are not losing so many bets :lol:

TEH

Take one most times, especially so when sitting in a highseat or on ground I don`t know well. Also use it when shooting crows as they are hard to judge accurately, however I don`t dial in as I know from practice what my bullet drop is.

Handy too when out stalking and you see a fox mousing in the early dawn light.

I sometimes use one but have to say it does spoil things for me a bit. I like to keep my shots at a range where a small misjudgement shouldn't matter so 99% of the time it stays at home.

I use it more when I'm not shooting. I quite enjoy looking at stuff, guessing how far away it is and then pinging it to see how far out my estimation was. Usually I'm not far out but I've had some shockers on open ground!

For long range shooting I think they are essential, but I don't enjoy long range shooting!

I agree with many of the above. I always use one when zeroing. I think they add a lot to range estimation which is hard when you have no known landmarks. Never use them lamping, but do like seeing how far away things are.

Have just invested in a pair of RF binoculars so not two items to carry.