Knife sharpening

Dunkield

Ok I don't think this has been asked before, so here goes.

We have discussed knives and sharpening tools before, but...

When you sharpen whatever knife you have with whatever tool you have, do you try and get it smooth sharp or do you find ragged edge works better?

I am taking about for cleaning out animals here, not whittling wood or anything else you may use it for :good:

Those of you that have a Lansky system, do you use the finest grade, or stop with the medium grade?

Stuartp

I find that the answer to that question really relies on what you are skinning out. For deer and bear I like an edge that has been taken all the way, and is fine. With these animals I find that I can do 3 or 4 without having to resharpen.

However with raccoons I find a medium course edge better, as these animals eat up a fine edge. The main reason for this is that you are always coming up against bone while working over the head.

One thin to remember, if you cut yourself on a medium blade it hurts twice as much as on a fine blade. :good:

NTTF

I always get my knives smooth sharp,by doing this you are cutting rather than tearing.Also if possible try to sharpen your knife as regular as you can.When i am using my knife at work i might only make 3-4 cuts before i give it a quick steel to bring the edge back

I always get my knives smooth sharp,by doing this you are cutting rather than tearing.Also if possible try to sharpen your knife as regular as you can.When i am using my knife at work i might only make 3-4 cuts before i give it a quick steel to bring the edge back

Agreed. Little and often is, like with so many things, the way to keep a knife sharp.

ZB

OK thanks for your replies gents :good:

I knew the answer was out there, the knife in question has a vey good blade it just didn't seem that sharp the other night. I am pretty sure I used the fine Lansky stone on and I am sure it hasn't been used since then, but I will give it a good rub tonight :good: