question

carpcrazy

hi all

i part exchanged one of my air rifles a couple of weeks ago at my local gun shop after having my new gun for a few weeks av noticed that the barrel had been changed from .22 to .177 my question is should the gun shop have informed me of this?

I'm assuming that it was a second hand, despite being from a gun shop? I don't think they're legally obliged to tell you; you went in for a .177 and came out with a .177! I don't think they have to, but if it were my gun shop i would have done! With something like that, you might think about just checking the serial number with the gunmakers and check it's not listed as stolen or anything! If your gunshop is worth its mettle they will have done it already...

yes it was a second hand gun but i did not go in for a .177 i actualy went in for a .22 i had even called the store in question to arrange the exchange and the assistant told me they wud take it back only if it went in untuned

i plan to call the shop in the mornin to see wot they say

yes it was a second hand gun but i did not go in for a .177 i actualy went in for a .22 i had even called the store in question to arrange the exchange and the assistant told me they wud take it back only if it went in untuned

i plan to call the shop in the mornin to see wot they say

If you went in to buy a 22 and they have 'mistakingly' given you a 17 I would think that they are morally obliged to put that mistake right. Especially if they want to keep your custom.

Sale of goods act

Circumstances when customers do have a legal right to a refund, repair or replacement

Customers do have a legal right to a refund, repair or replacement if an item they purchased

does not match the description

is not of satisfactory quality

is not fit for purpose .

Each of these circumstances would mean that the item does not conform to contract and therefore it can be described as faulty .

If you point out a fault to a customer and they are able to inspect that fault before they make a purchase, their purchase means they have accepted the fault and they cannot claim their legal right (outlined above) in relation to that particular fault.

Hope this helps

The rifle clearly is'nt the cal that you went there for.So the onus is on them to make "Their" mistake right.Hold them to task.They are in the wrong.Demand your rights as a last resort.(If common sense does'nt prevail).Bring in trading standards.Jim.(Night Owl).

When i called the shop to arrange the the part exchange i asked for a .22 the guy i spoke to said yes we have a .22 so come down. when i got to the shop i didnt deal with the guy i spoke to on the phone. the new fella informed me that there was no .22 left it stock but they did have a .177 would i take that. coz i wanted the rifle i said ok. as ya do then i was told the returns polacy in wich i was told if the rifle was tuned by myself then they will not take it back. its only now after playin with it a reading the writing on the rifle that i noticed it says (SMK XS78 5.5mm) I have now rang the store and i am going to see them on tuesday.

When i called the shop to arrange the the part exchange i asked for a .22 the guy i spoke to said yes we have a .22 so come down. when i got to the shop i didnt deal with the guy i spoke to on the phone. the new fella informed me that there was no .22 left it stock but they did have a .177 would i take that. coz i wanted the rifle i said ok. as ya do then i was told the returns polacy in wich i was told if the rifle was tuned by myself then they will not take it back. its only now after playin with it a reading the writing on the rifle that i noticed it says (SMK XS78 5.5mm) I have now rang the store and i am going to see them on tuesday.

:hmm::hmm::hmm: I'm not following that at all, if you don't care if its a .22 or .177 why do you care the barrel may have been changed?!

You part-ex'd your old airgun,

you wanted a .22,

you went to the shop and they said ''sorry, no .22's left, but we do have a .177, do you want the .177 instead?''

you said ''ok''

you got home and noticed it said 5.5mm (which is a .22) on the gun

Whats the problem, you got a .22 which is what you wanted :hmm:

As far as I can see, you knew that it was a .177 rifle and you bought it with knowing that it would take .177 pellets (even though you prefered a .22). When you got it home it was marked somewhere as a .22 which means the barrel etc has been changed by someone at some point. Now, if you didn't try to tune it yourself there are 2 possibilities:

1. That the person who changed it to a .177 knew what they were doing and it is still producing enough power (just changing barrels from .22 to .177 will reduce the power). There is no problem so you shouldn't get a refund.

2. If the barrels were changed with no other alterations then it will probably be down on power and should be taken back as it is sub-standard.

If you have tried to tune it yourself then they shouldn't give a refund - even if it was low on power first as they will have no way of knowing that.

The dealer will probably take it back as a gesture of goodwill but to be honest I don't really think you can complain about the rifle unless it was sold to you as a full-powered rifle and is actually way under-powered.

As far as I can see, you knew that it was a .177 rifle and you bought it with knowing that it would take .177 pellets (even though you prefered a .22). When you got it home it was marked somewhere as a .22 which means the barrel etc has been changed by someone at some point. Now, if you didn't try to tune it yourself there are 2 possibilities:

1. That the person who changed it to a .177 knew what they were doing and it is still producing enough power (just changing barrels from .22 to .177 will reduce the power). There is no problem so you shouldn't get a refund.

2. If the barrels were changed with no other alterations then it will probably be down on power and should be taken back as it is sub-standard.

If you have tried to tune it yourself then they shouldn't give a refund - even if it was low on power first as they will have no way of knowing that.

The dealer will probably take it back as a gesture of goodwill but to be honest I don't really think you can complain about the rifle unless it was sold to you as a full-powered rifle and is actually way under-powered.

I have not done.anything to this rifle.other that.put co2 and pellets in it.