Artichokes

Around this time last year, the small shoot that I'm involved with planted 4000 Artichokes.

Very few showed through.

On a working party a few weeks ago there were no signs of any artichokes showing at all.

A sampling trench was dug, but zero artichikes were evident.

I fear that they have either rotted away or been troughed by creatures unknown.

Can anyone shed any light onto this one?

webber

I planted some artichokes last year also- it was so dry a good few of them shrivelled up and died and a good few were eaten by rabbits. A shrivelled tuber can still sprout but i dug them up and alot fizzle out and perish- Still have a good 95% of the crop growing though as I planted them way too thick- will leave it till winter then ridge them up and fill in the gaps!

Cheers A

They don't do well with competition in the first year with grass etc. we hand planted 8sacks last year all but the ones in grass grew. We then ploughed in the rest of the half tonne in a different place and they were all above my head by September!!! If they are not sprouting yet I suggest spraying the area with round up if you can mate!

Hope that helps, good luck.

If you need to replant for gods sake beg, buy, borrow or steal a potato planter, and plant them in ridges. I have one in Northants if you want to buy one, been barn stored for last 10 years or so.

Personally we are spraying out artichokes and replacing mainly with chickory. Hold birds much better.

A

If you need to replant for gods sake beg, buy, borrow or steal a potato planter, and plant them in ridges. I have one in Northants if you want to buy one, been barn stored for last 10 years or so.

Personally we are spraying out artichokes and replacing mainly with chickory. Hold birds much better.

A

I think that the lack of this type of planting may be the reason that they have failed. They were planted like flower bulbs. It may be a matter of acepting that the crop has failed.

webber

• 1 month later...