need some new reels

elmar fudd

can i ask why carp lads always use over the top rods,big pit reels,ultra heavy lines and braid hook lengths :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: i use a shimano beastmaster 9 to 11 tip rod, a diawa tdr reel and 6lb mainline (dual band) with 0.20 hooklengths and always manage to land carp up to 20lb 3oz(per best)i dont need to cast 200yrds even at drayton or boddingtons, i just think the gear used by carp anglers is too over the top,,braid should be banned for carp (imo) because i get sick of catching carp who,s mouths have been cut to pieces cos of it,,dont want an argument but i just cant understand the need for huge reels and rods like scaffold poles, surely its more sport to catch decent carp on light gear using your reel clutch or to backwind,,abroad where there are 60lb fish maybe but in the uk in my opinion i just cant understand it,,,,regards poles you do get what you pay for because i wouldnt like to sit there at 16mtr all day with a £200 pole,,just my thoughts boys :good:

By far the worst mouths I have seen on carp are on fisherys that are match fished also take drayton for example the fish had terrible mouths as they were being dragged in rather than played , small hooks tear like a cheese wire and fine mono cuts, I think that barbless hooks do far more harm than good also , they penetrate deeper and move about more.

Edited by fenboy

By far the worst mouths I have seen on carp are on fisherys that are match fished also take drayton for example the fish had terrible mouths as they were being dragged in rather than played , small hooks tear like a cheese wire and fine mono cuts, I think that barbless hooks do far more harm than good also , they penetrate deeper and move about more.

couldnt agree more also 2 add a 600mm rig tube

would defo prefare to use a size 16 or 18 pr36 or 38 and 0.20 hooklength and as i said in my previous post IMO use my clutch or backwind than to use 15 or 20lb braid a lead weight that would easily cast across the atlantic and also a rod of 3lb t/c , yes i match fish but always show the fish i catch (and dont) the utmost respect,, i also bailiff a fishery and it is the ""havn,t got a clue brigade"" that do the most damage to fish,,i know a lot of carp anglers good and bad but this still makes me feel a 3lb t/c rod is not required,,i can cast a 15gram method feeder with micros on it 80yrds.. fishing is about learning watercraft and stuff not dumping 25kg of bait in and skull dragging fish in,,there are good and bad anglers from both the carp world and the match side and like i say all should respect their quarry no matter what it is :good: because I certainly always have :yes:

would defo prefare to use a size 16 or 18 pr36 or 38 and 0.20 hooklength and as i said in my previous post IMO use my clutch or backwind than to use 15 or 20lb braid a lead weight that would easily cast across the atlantic and also a rod of 3lb t/c , yes i match fish but always show the fish i catch (and dont) the utmost respect,, i also bailiff a fishery and it is the ""havn,t got a clue brigade"" that do the most damage to fish,,i know a lot of carp anglers good and bad but this still makes me feel a 3lb t/c rod is not required,,i can cast a 15gram method feeder with micros on it 80yrds.. fishing is about learning watercraft and stuff not dumping 25kg of bait in and skull dragging fish in,,there are good and bad anglers from both the carp world and the match side and like i say all should respect their quarry no matter what it is :good: because I certainly always have :yes:

When you say size 16/18 hook's and 15grm method feeder i can only assume you are targeting small carp ie match style up to 5 lb surely to god no bigger than 10 lb, when you class people as carp angler's i see that as people fishing for specimen's ie 20lb+ hence the need for tackle strong enough to cope with big fish.

When you say size 16/18 hook's and 15grm method feeder i can only assume you are targeting small carp ie match style up to 5 lb surely to god no bigger than 10 lb, when you class people as carp angler's i see that as people fishing for specimen's ie 20lb+ hence the need for tackle strong enough to cope with big fish.

whats wrong with fishing for bigger than 10lb fish with 5lb line??

colin

Take it you fish commercials then with carp prob max upto 10/15lb then as if you turned up to alot of the lakes I fished with that gear you would be thrown off the place....

And some places you need to pile the bait in to feed off the bream and silvers and hope the carp move in or just the amount the carp can eat

As you say different waters need different gear, tactics and methods :good:

whats wrong with fishing for bigger than 10lb fish with 5lb line??

colin

Dont think i mentioned 5 lb line :hmm: however as i stated in an earlier post tackle that weak would not be allowed on most of the water's i fish.

Dont think i mentioned 5 lb line :hmm: however as i stated in an earlier post tackle that weak would not be allowed on most of the water's i fish.

i stand corrected lumpy you didn't say 5lb line i read it wrong i had had a bottle of red by then,

i do like fishing light though more sporting and takes more skill to land larger fish but this is just my opinion

colin

i stand corrected lumpy you didn't say 5lb line i read it wrong i had had a bottle of red by then,

i do like fishing light though more sporting and takes more skill to land larger fish but this is just my opinion

:yes: :yes: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

colin

lol no worries mate :good: