need some new reels

elmar fudd

Bear in mind the emcast reels have a reverse taper spool and you will probably need to have your butt ring replaced with a larger one to cope with the larger coil's of line passing through !! a better alternative would be the Emblem's or the new TFG reel's that are a copy of the daiwa basia :good:

Bear in mind the emcast reels have a reverse taper spool and you will probably need to have your butt ring replaced with a larger one to cope with the larger coil's of line passing through !! a better alternative would be the Emblem's or the new TFG reel's that are a copy of the daiwa basia :good:

Why would he need bigger rings ??? , once filled the diameter of the spool is just the same as a non reverse tapered spool of the same diameter , just that in theory the coils do not reduce in size as much the further the cast goes, I have a emcast for my spod rod and have no problems , most carp rods now days have a 40mm butt ring at least.

As for your question wychwood reels are not the best , I would recommend Shimano aerlex / navi or biomaster , you should be able to get the Aerlex at less than £50 if you shop around.

Why would he need bigger rings ??? , once filled the diameter of the spool is just the same as a non reverse tapered spool of the same diameter , just that in theory the coils do not reduce in size as much the further the cast goes, I have a emcast for my spod rod and have no problems , most carp rods now days have a 40mm butt ring at least.

As for your question wychwood reels are not the best , I would recommend Shimano aerlex / navi or biomaster , you should be able to get the Aerlex at less than £50 if you shop around.

As the line leave's the spool of a reverse taper reel it create's even larger coil's of line and in many cases these can wrap around the butt ring causing crack off's or even damadge to the rod itself.

Sorry but that is the biggest load of tosh I have heard ,yes it gives bigger coils further down the spool but these are no bigger than the initial coils on any reel with the same spool diameter reversed tapered or not, I have had a Emcast for years without a hint of a problem .any reel can put a loop of line around a butt ring if the ring spacing in incorrect or the cast is poor , it is not down to a reverse taper on a spool.

How many reels do you think the likes of Daiwa and Shimano would sell if they had reputations for wrecking rings / rods !!

Edited by fenboy

Sorry but that is the biggest load of tosh I have heard , I have had a Emcast for years without a hint of a problem .any reel can put a loop of line around a butt ring if the ring spacing in incorrect or the cast is poor , it is not down to a reverse taper on a spool.

How many reels do you think the likes of Daiwa and Shimano would sell if they had reputations for wrecking rings / rods !!

Having worked for premier baits for 6 yr's i'm just giving the advice of hundred's of people i've spoken to !! it does happen whether you choose to believe it or not :good:

thanks for the advice everyone :good: i had looked at the diawa's actually but a mate had some and said he thought they were pants, although they seem to have fans here :good:

mate get what ever reels take your fancy, most modern reels are up to the job, i have had many a good catch's using so called lesser tackle

colin

i liked them because all my other stuff is also wychwood and your thoughts had gone through my head tbh all modern tackle has to match up to a certain standard surely? :good:

fudd

thanks for the advice everyone :good: i had looked at the diawa's actually but a mate had some and said he thought they were pants, although they seem to have fans here :good:

i liked them because all my other stuff is also wychwood and your thoughts had gone through my head tbh all modern tackle has to match up to a certain standard surely? :good:

fudd

mate i have been fishing some 42 years and have used all kinds of tackle i have a shed full of very expensive tackle a got because i thought it would be better,

in some cases it does help but its only when you get to the top of your game that you will need to spend that extra,

when i fished for a local team at the national's i was talked into buying a £1500 pole which i now find i can catch just as much with a £200 pole but i wanted to fit in so i got it ha ha,

i have finished with the match fishing now but in my last year i thought i would prove this point to a few that its not about the tackle your using that makes the difference so i fished the whole season on budget tackle and at the end of the season i had done better than any other year,

i must say when you see some anglers with thier 3 identical rods sat on top of the range bite alarms that they do look the part but do they catch any more than the next man??

just my thoughts

colin

Having worked for premier baits for 6 yr's i'm just giving the advice of hundred's of people i've spoken to !! it does happen whether you choose to believe it or not :good:

Its ok I am only drawing on the 30 years experience of carp fishing I have , if we were talking about bait I would bow to your superior knowledge !

mate i have been fishing some 42 years and have used all kinds of tackle i have a shed full of very expensive tackle a got because i thought it would be better,

in some cases it does help but its only when you get to the top of your game that you will need to spend that extra,

when i fished for a local team at the national's i was talked into buying a £1500 pole which i now find i can catch just as much with a £200 pole but i wanted to fit in so i got it ha ha,

i have finished with the match fishing now but in my last year i thought i would prove this point to a few that its not about the tackle your using that makes the difference so i fished the whole season on budget tackle and at the end of the season i had done better than any other year,

i must say when you see some anglers with thier 3 identical rods sat on top of the range bite alarms that they do look the part but do they catch any more than the next man??

just my thoughts

colin

Colin ,to a certain degree I agree with you, expensive tackle is not required to catch fish fact --------- but there are 3 areas I will not scrimp that is hook, line and reel , i guess it depends on what your fishing for ,which for me normally means big carp and I might be waiting for some time for that run and when I get it I dont want my reel seizing or the clutch letting me down and as a general rule the more expensive the better the clutch , a cheap rod may not get you to the fish if they are at range though most should be able to land anything hooked sooner or later , but will not have the "feel" of a top rod or perhaps be able to react quick enough to a sudden lunge under the rod tip.

My advice will always be buy the best you can afford at the time , I now have top end gear but its took me years to build it up ,but I always brought what I could best afford , plus the resale value is better when you want to up grade .

Its ok I am only drawing on the 30 years experience of carp fishing I have , if we were talking about bait I would bow to your superior knowledge !

I understand what your saying, having carp fished for over 30yr's myself with most of the biggest name's in the trade i merely pointed out the problem with one reel which for the record was recognised by daiwa uk hence the reason they never used the reverse taper design on any of there other reels, that was the point i was putting accross.

just my thoughts

colin

I use to be a a tackle tart when I could afford it...Now I still dont catch as much :lol:

As said shimano is the way forward IMHO

I have probably about 30 reels and apart from a couple of Diawa sea reels they are all various Shimanos they are the best IMO. I have 2 barbel set ups a pike set up 2 3 rod carp set ups and a perch set up save changing line and end tackle every time i go just grab the right bag and holdal and off I go :)

Colin ,to a certain degree I agree with you, expensive tackle is not required to catch fish fact --------- but there are 3 areas I will not scrimp that is hook, line and reel , i guess it depends on what your fishing for ,which for me normally means big carp and I might be waiting for some time for that run and when I get it I dont want my reel seizing or the clutch letting me down and as a general rule the more expensive the better the clutch , a cheap rod may not get you to the fish if they are at range though most should be able to land anything hooked sooner or later , but will not have the "feel" of a top rod or perhaps be able to react quick enough to a sudden lunge under the rod tip.

My advice will always be buy the best you can afford at the time , I now have top end gear but its took me years to build it up ,but I always brought what I could best afford , plus the resale value is better when you want to up grade .

Hi Fenboy i do agree with you on the line and hook mate thats the important end if you get that bit right ie the bait presentation then the tackle on the bank what the fish cant see is personal preference,

i understand what you are saying about the better tackle as i said to the op if you are at the top of your game ie you are a competent angler and want to find that edge to be a bit better, but the way i read it the op was not in that position yet or he would not be asking questions like he did for the majority of anglers your run of the mill tackle is fine, as most tackle makers cant afford to make bad tackle,

i agree with your comment on buy the best you can that's what i all ways did but the reels the op was on about should be fine for most angles,

what i was trying to say was yes the best you can afford is as you say the way go but you dont need the best gear to catch fish and if you want your reels to match your rods then they will be fine,

hope that makes sense i think i have confused myself lol

colin

i also had one of those reverse taper daiwa reels for sea fishing and had no problems with the line looping round the butt eye..

Edited by colin lad

I've heard of dedicated carp boys but being prepared to have ones butt ring replaced with a larger one sounds beyond the pale to me!!!, :blush: :unsure:

I've heard of dedicated carp boys but being prepared to have ones butt ring replaced with a larger one sounds beyond the pale to me!!!, :blush: :unsure:

Gotta have a big butt ring mate, 50mm silicon's reduce the friction nicely :o

Like that signature :good:

can i ask why carp lads always use over the top rods,big pit reels,ultra heavy lines and braid hook lengths :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: i use a shimano beastmaster 9 to 11 tip rod, a diawa tdr reel and 6lb mainline (dual band) with 0.20 hooklengths and always manage to land carp up to 20lb 3oz(per best)i dont need to cast 200yrds even at drayton or boddingtons, i just think the gear used by carp anglers is too over the top,,braid should be banned for carp (imo) because i get sick of catching carp who,s mouths have been cut to pieces cos of it,,dont want an argument but i just cant understand the need for huge reels and rods like scaffold poles, surely its more sport to catch decent carp on light gear using your reel clutch or to backwind,,abroad where there are 60lb fish maybe but in the uk in my opinion i just cant understand it,,,,regards poles you do get what you pay for because i wouldnt like to sit there at 16mtr all day with a £200 pole,,just my thoughts boys :good:

can i ask why carp lads always use over the top rods,big pit reels,ultra heavy lines and braid hook lengths :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: i use a shimano beastmaster 9 to 11 tip rod, a diawa tdr reel and 6lb mainline (dual band) with 0.20 hooklengths and always manage to land carp up to 20lb 3oz(per best)i dont need to cast 200yrds even at drayton or boddingtons, i just think the gear used by carp anglers is too over the top,,braid should be banned for carp (imo) because i get sick of catching carp who,s mouths have been cut to pieces cos of it,,dont want an argument but i just cant understand the need for huge reels and rods like scaffold poles, surely its more sport to catch decent carp on light gear using your reel clutch or to backwind,,abroad where there are 60lb fish maybe but in the uk in my opinion i just cant understand it,,,,regards poles you do get what you pay for because i wouldnt like to sit there at 16mtr all day with a £200 pole,,just my thoughts boys :good:

To be fair you would'nt be allowed to use such light tackle on most of the water's i fish, However i do share your view that a lot of angler's use tackle heavier than maybe needed, that said you also have to bear in mind that not everyone can afford different setup's for various condition's so a rod in the 3 lb tc range coupled with a big pit reel will cover most condition's, As for the braid ! i'd say your more likely to damadge a fish with 0.2 mono than you would with 20lb braid but again that is nothing to do with the hooklength and everything to do with the person playing the fish.

With regard's to pole's i'm afraid i share Richard Walker's view (They'd be good for knocking apples out of tree's) ;)

To be fair you would'nt be allowed to use such light tackle on most of the water's i fish, However i do share your view that a lot of angler's use tackle heavier than maybe needed, that said you also have to bear in mind that not everyone can afford different setup's for various condition's so a rod in the 3 lb tc range coupled with a big pit reel will cover most condition's, As for the braid ! i'd say your more likely to damadge a fish with 0.2 mono than you would with 20lb braid but again that is nothing to do with the hooklength and everything to do with the person playing the fish.

With regard's to pole's i'm afraid i share Richard Walker's view (They'd be good for knocking apples out of tree's) ;)

my old one has come in handy poking the squirrels out of there homes ,, :lol: :lol:

agree with everything above i mentioned the pole just to say you dont need to spend loads of dosh and if you cant hold a long cheep pole all day then best get up the gym :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously though my old is now for putting pigeon decoys up in tree tops

colin