Firearms licence question

Hello

Just looking to pick your brains on here.

I am looking to apple for my firearms cert, I dont have land to shoot on at the moment.

I am a fully qualified pest control tech for the last 4 yrs and all my life have been intrested with the hunting and pest control past times.

looking to take up deer stalking and due to not really knowing alot of people in this way of life i have done my DSC 1.

I would like to own my own rifles for rabbit control (.22lr) for work and a deer calibre rifle.

what am trying to say is do you require land to have your appication approved.

its a catch 22 for me as i as farmers if i can do a bit pest control eg rabbits etc but they not to keen on signing my paperwork as well they dont know me.

any help on this is greatly appreciated

stuart

i'm not an fac holder but you need good reason to hold firearms so either target shooting or vermin control for which you will need land for which you have permission to shoot on for that caliber also the land has to be cleared by the police for that caliber.

hope this helps.

Hello

Just looking to pick your brains on here.

I am looking to apple for my firearms cert, I dont have land to shoot on at the moment.

I am a fully qualified pest control tech for the last 4 yrs and all my life have been intrested with the hunting and pest control past times.

looking to take up deer stalking and due to not really knowing alot of people in this way of life i have done my DSC 1.

I would like to own my own rifles for rabbit control (.22lr) for work and a deer calibre rifle.

what am trying to say is do you require land to have your appication approved.

its a catch 22 for me as i as farmers if i can do a bit pest control eg rabbits etc but they not to keen on signing my paperwork as well they dont know me.

any help on this is greatly appreciated

stuart

You'll need either suitable land or you will need membership of a club for the rimfire, nothing stopping you applying for a deer suitable calibre if you have evidence of proposed deer stalking days.

You'll not get any firearm if you have nowhere to shoot it fella.

There are 3 questions the police must ask -

1. Are you fit and proper to be trusted with a firearm?

2. Would you be a danger to public safety?

3. Do you have a GOOD REASON to own one?

to he above i would say i have no problem answering these questions with good and proper answers i would say.

and how can you gain land if all u want to do is ask the farmer to sign paper work they just turn there nose up at it and say no way

gutted

yeah well my work have said they are turning down work for large rabbit control due to nobody in scotland having a 22lr.

My work and my boss will be doing a cover letter regarding why i am appling for a 22lr for work purposes.

Well in that case your in a different category to the hobby pest controllers you may want to put in for a deer calibre and ask boss to put vermin and deer on the letter as fox may be an option and .22lr not suitable for fox.

You will probably have more paperwork to do, risk assessment etc but having DSC 1 will help, you'll also need an open ticket to call on a client and shoot without needing a land check

yeah well my work have said they are turning down work for large rabbit control due to nobody in scotland having a 22lr.

My work and my boss will be doing a cover letter regarding why i am appling for a 22lr for work purposes.

I know you are a tight lot up there but I'd have thought that at least one person in Scotland would have had one !!.

It will need a scot to answer this fully, but I have just countersigned a Scottish firearms application for Deer rifles and .22lr etc; and I believe that the 'permission for shooting' thing is different in Scotland than in England & Wales - and possibly not as onerous a requirement.

I may be wrong, and the bloke I did the countersignature for happens to be married into a family with their own estate (!) but when I asked him where the letter giving the permission was, his response was that it wasn't required in Scotland.