Shooting over flowering tall rape

Hi all,

Just wondering is anybody having much luck shooting over the rape at the moment bearing in mind its now quite tall and flowering.

The permissions I shoot over now are all covered in relatively high rape. I pressume the best course of action in 'genenal' terms as with any tall crop is to stick to the tramlines or the headland or any patchy areas ?

(ps the reason I ask is that i have never shot over rape this time of year before)

Many thanks,

Probs not the best idea m8! Shooting over rape at this stage will at most times only produce very small bags as the birds are now on other foodstuffs, also you run the risk of upsetting the farmer by trampling his crop to pick birds. Fact is the farmer nos that field won't be getting batterd now to they really don't want you there...

Watch the fields, if the birds are dropping in then give it a go.

I am shooting good numbers on flowering rape at the moment, stick to the short areas, headlands, tractor tracks and don't retrieve dead birds from the high stuff, unless you have a dog, otherwise you will cause more damage than the pigeons.

like the other boys said steer clear of the flowering crop....keep to the mullered areas, me and my shooting buddy had a good day a couple of years ago on a very large field of flowering rape, he set up in the "shaved" area, and i set up in a ditch with my back to a wood that was full of ash trees, we ended up pushing the birds back and forward all afternoon !!!...when the birds wernt feeding on rape they were budding..

You are prob best to wait until the farmer cuts it and get on that day or the next if he will let you know when he will do it.

P.s it's up to you but i never take my dog on cut rape as it's like a razor and always worried she will end up cut bad.

good luck

True! Even standing rape is hard going for a dog. Seen a good few dogs With bald patches on there face were they have tried to push through the tough stalks. Also very saw eyes,

True! Even standing rape is hard going for a dog. Seen a good few dogs With bald patches on there face were they have tried to push through the tough stalks. Also very saw eyes,

Good point Worth remembering with the comming summer and harvest ,rape when dry can be hard and sharp , the stubble can be both strong enough and sharp enough to pierce a welly ( I found out to my discomfort) so damage to a dog is not difficult.

barley "spears" around harvest are not good at all to let dogs run into , they stick between their toes, in eyes and places to make your eyes water.

So think of your dogs before letting them run in any crop or stubble.