S/H shotgun

blackbird

Ideally take someone with you who knows about them.

Failing that, after making sure it fits which is important (or allowing for it to be fitted to you at future cost) check that the barrels aren't pitted inside and that the action is not loose in the stock.

Remove the forend and try to twist the barrels in relation to the stock, they shouldn't move (if you can feel any movement then it's worn).

Fire the gun (empty!), check that the barrel selector works OK, then when you break the gun make sure the ejectors work OK.

That's about all I can think of to look for, make sure everything works as it should and feels tight.

Check the wood around the metal parts, look for hair line cracks/ any signs of repair. I check screw heads to see if there scratched or have been tightened. Just to give an idea of its use. Also the top lever, when closed if the lever is slightly off centre to the right thats a sign if a gun thats had little use etc. Check the firing pins for pitting, browning are prone to pitting the bottom pin. About $40 to get done I think. Good luck

Take the forend and barrels off the action.

check barrels/ribs for any dinks or marks.

Are there any funny looking welds/repairs or marks to the bottom lump?

Make sure the chokes can be removed and are not rusted in place.

Check the forend for splits/repairs and does the catch work properly.

Check the wood around the action - if it's very dark compared to the rest of the stock it's got a lot of oil penetration.

Check the faces for marks/scratches.

Reassemble - does it go back together easily? Try it again if necessary.

Open & close the gun a few times - It should be smooth, not stiff or loose to open.

Overall check for any signs of abuse, e.g. not being cleaned properly, chewed up screw heads etc.

As others have said regarding tightness of action, checking serial numbers, inside of barrels etc.

I've always bought second hand with no real probs apart from a light striking pin on my Rotty. That was easily sorted under warranty. If I'd shot it I would have noticed it immediately. Try and put a box of carts thro' it if you can - that'll tell you a lot :yes::good: