Air gun license

Licensed or not?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should air guns be licensed?

• Yes
    • No

Scaremongering aside, licensing is wholly impractical. The authorities have no idea who already owns what. Only those to be used by dodgy people would be unlicensed but the status quo would remain. Ok for new guns it might work but it would reduce sales I think!

In theory licensing or registration is good, as is communism, but in reality it's a bad idea!

m against it look at the wait for a shotgun licence you want to wait 4 months for your air rifle, what happens if you end up having to move going to have to turn all your guns in? common guys these are air guns not magnums lol you want to be told how many you can own. theres already laws in place with airguns they should maybe have tougher penalties if you breech them. i dont think licences will reduce crime as criminals dont bother about licences anyway, the legit user will be taxed!!!!

m against it look at the wait for a shotgun licence you want to wait 4 months for your air rifle, what happens if you end up having to move going to have to turn all your guns in? common guys these are air guns not magnums lol you want to be told how many you can own. theres already laws in place with airguns they should maybe have tougher penalties if you breech them. i dont think licences will reduce crime as criminals dont bother about licences anyway, the legit user will be taxed!!!!

Pass the "lol" comment onto some of the parents who's kids have been shot with airguns and see what they say - there is a chance this type of thing could be reduced (NOTE : reduced, not eliminated) if the neds had a harder time getting hold of an airgun in the first place.

The licensing time is a failing on the operator (in our case the firearms licensing authority in certain areas) not the procedure or process - a good example is my local FEO turn around an application in 1 - 2 weeks - no problem at all.

Your point about moving - this is standard practice with firearms - if you are busy moving then store your guns - you most likely won't need them until settled at your new location anyway, why the impatience?

One observation - on a shooting oriented forum - we are at a 60% - 40% split - what do you think the outcome will be if this is put to how public who sees a gun as a gun regardless of whether it's and air arms or an AK47....

Regards

Gixer

Scaremongering aside, licensing is wholly impractical. The authorities have no idea who already owns what. Only those to be used by dodgy people would be unlicensed but the status quo would remain. Ok for new guns it might work but it would reduce sales I think!

In theory licensing or registration is good, as is communism, but in reality it's a bad idea!

This is based on time - it would take a while but the numbers of unlicensed guns with fall over time, as they break/get lost/ go to legitimate owners/are collected by police entering ned homes.

I would imaging this is true of shotguns and firearms and was mentioned at the time licenses were introduced for them.

Regards,

Gixer

Gixer, you have some good points, and in theory I wouldn't oppose a simple register for air rifles, but in practice the cost of it would be passed on to the owners of the millions of air rifles in circulation and the time needed to process them would be a real problem.

The one issue that would really stick in the throat is that of denying keen young kids the chance of shooting. I wouldn't have got into shooting if I'd have had to get a cert/licence and many, many others would be put off due to the extra cost.

Edit: Also, where do you draw the line with air rifles? Would air pistols need a cert? BBs, paintball guns? What about catapaults, spearguns, crossbows, compound bows the good old English longbow - all of these can produce shocking amounts of enegry (way above that of an air rifle) and almost anyone can buy them too. There was a recent story about someone shooting ducks at a local pond with darts from a blowpipe, the list could go on.

Edited by FalconFN

Gixer, you have some good points, and in theory I wouldn't oppose a simple register for air rifles, but in practice the cost of it would be passed on to the owners of the millions of air rifles in circulation and the time needed to process them would be a real problem.

The one issue that would really stick in the throat is that of denying keen young kids the chance of shooting. I wouldn't have got into shooting if I'd have had to get a cert/licence and many, many others would be put off due to the extra cost.

Edit: Also, where do you draw the line with air rifles? Would air pistols need a cert? BBs, paintball guns? What about catapaults, spearguns, crossbows, compound bows the good old English longbow - all of these can produce shocking amounts of enegry (way above that of an air rifle) and almost anyone can buy them too. There was a recent story about someone shooting ducks at a local pond with darts from a blowpipe, the list could go on.

Good points but not everyone gets a license before firing a full bore rifle or shotgun for the first time - if all were licensed there may be a better case to open more shooting ranges/clubs (something that is in dire need up here in the north of Scotland IMHO)

Respectfully,

Gixer

First we had the shotgun License that was bought from the Post Office.......served no purpose.

Then we had the license that was purchased from the police.........same as above but more expensive.

Then we had a license from the police that registered gun ownership......and cost even more money.

Now we have a license that is even more restrictive, takes months to get and is to be subject to a swinging price increase in the not to distant future.

Introduce airgun licensing and watch the same happen all for no increase in public safety.

First we had the shotgun License that was bought from the Post Office.......served no purpose.

Then we had the license that was purchased from the police.........same as above but more expensive.

Then we had a license from the police that registered gun ownership......and cost even more money.

Now we have a license that is even more restrictive, takes months to get and is to be subject to a swinging price increase in the not to distant future.

Introduce airgun licensing and watch the same happen all for no increase in public safety.

Wasn't the first one a Gun Licence, ie it covered airguns as well (10/-)? My first one is framed and on the wall behind me (sentimental father kept it).

I know of at least one man here that never bothered with them by his own admission!

Wasn't the first one a Gun Licence, ie it covered airguns as well (10/-)? My first one is framed and on the wall behind me (sentimental father kept it).

I know of at least one man here that never bothered with them by his own admission!

I can't remember if they covered airguns, I don't think so. If they did I certainly never had one for an airgun and only ever bought one for my shotguns before I decided I had better things to spend my money on.

Not many youngsters had cars in those days and being fortunate enough to own one I was often stopped by the police to check up on why I was driving. Used to keep my shotgun in the car in plain view and never once did a policeman ask to see my gun license, I don't think they knew such a license existed.

Slightly off topic but I remember my car insurance at 17 in 1962 was £6 7s 6d. So if we were to equate the 10/- (50p) gun license to the cost of my car insurance and calculate that to today's prices for a 17 year olds car insurance, say £2000, a shotgun license today would be in the region of £155. Remember that was an annual license, So over 5 years, the current term, that would be £775. They were dear in those days !!!

I can't remember if they covered airguns, I don't think so. If they did I certainly never had one for an airgun and only ever bought one for my shotguns before I decided I had better things to spend my money on.

Not many youngsters had cars in those days and being fortunate enough to own one I was often stopped by the police to check up on why I was driving. Used to keep my shotgun in the car in plain view and never once did a policeman ask to see my gun license, I don't think they knew such a license existed.

Slightly off topic but I remember my car insurance at 17 in 1962 was £6 7s 6d. So if we were to equate the 10/- (50p) gun license to the cost of my car insurance and calculate that to today's prices for a 17 year olds car insurance, say £2000, a shotgun license today would be in the region of £155. Remember that was an annual license, So over 5 years, the current term, that would be £775. They were dear in those days !!!

Can confirm the airgun bit - once got done for firing a mate's at a tree (long story), I had to pay 10/- for not having a (current) licence and then another 10/- to get one. Took several grovelling letters before Father finally approved one for me to send off asking to be exempt from the second 10/- as at the time I didn't have an airgun. Fortunately, it worked - 10/- was a week's paper round pay.

They covered anything that didn't require a FAC