H I D XENON LIGHTS ON CARS

mikky

The last I read on this was that if they are not fitted with self levelling and washers then they are an MOT failure. There is an exception that says low high performance cars not designed to carry much weight don't need the self levelling but the guidance notes i read were a bit sketchy on how this is applied. In any case the car should be fitted with washers, but if not and it's exempt under the above then no washers is an advisory on the MOT. If not exempt under the above, no washers is a failure.

So, it's pretty grey really. I would suggest not fitting them to be on the safe side. Happy to be corrected mind.

The last I read on this was that if they are not fitted with self levelling and washers then they are an MOT failure. There is an exception that says low high performance cars not designed to carry much weight don't need the self levelling but the guidance notes i read were a bit sketchy on how this is applied. In any case the car should be fitted with washers, but if not and it's exempt under the above then no washers is an advisory on the MOT. If not exempt under the above, no washers is a failure.

So, it's pretty grey really. I would suggest not fitting them to be on the safe side. Happy to be corrected mind.

That's pretty much as I understood it, the rules changed this year.

cheers for that...fitting them to his car would be illegal,unless he changes the headlamp unit as well....he has emailed the seller and will be returning them...

thanks for your help

mikky

ps ..this forum never ceases to amaze me :good:

I have HID fitted to an Audi A4 with projector style lenses as from the factory. the same lenses the factory HIDs are fitted to,

the light case even has the cut out for the ballast.

Got them at HIDDirect and they are 4300k so a whiter light than normla but not the chavvy blue or purple things you see on lowered Citroen Saxo's in the tesco carpark at night!

Yes they are probably illegal as they dont self level. I always keep my lights clean anyway, but as the car came with an option for factory HID and I have had them for three years and passed 3 (genuine) MOT's and never once been stopped (for the lights at least!)

IMO it is better to be seen and see than drive around with the 1 candle power bulbs that the car came with.

no brainer on my particular application

From what I read only says "may be fitted" and "must work" also you get the benefit of The doubt if they can't test the self level system.

Woulda of thought to be a failure over discretion it would read "must be fitted" if in doubt leave em out though I reckon.

Karpman