.17 hmr 20grain????

hi all,

Im sorry if this has come up before i did a search but with no luck.

I am going to buy some more ammo for my .17 hmr this week end and was wandering what people thought of the 20 grain bullets that horndray and cci offer.

Are they less affected by the wind?

Im not too bothered by the trajectory because i will put in the time to learn the drop and compsate for that.

all opinions will be apprieciated

Thank you

I havent tryed any yet myself but fully intend to, just havent got around to it yet ! Some say they over penetrate and dont expand enough ! Either 17 or 20grn will do the job on bunnys fine but when it comes to fox i want to experiment with the 20grn stuff! I plan to shoot a fox (headshot with 17grn) as thats a tryed and tested method ! And then i plan to prop up charlie and shoot it at 100 yards chest (boiler room/heart and lung)shot and have a peice of A3 paper wrapped around the back of the fox to see if there is any exit, and will then do a bit of a PM to see what the 20grn does internally ! :good: I would say at up to and including at 100yards a good head shot will deal with charlie fine! Just get your shot placement right and be sure of your shot and you should be fine, practise plenty on paper first !

Don't bother using them on boiler room shots on charlie, they go straight through and don't expand enough. I've shot two both strong runners and didn't shoot any more with them, they ran like deer with chest shots made it into cover then stopped and died. Had I not got my fox obsessed hound with me I wouldn't have found them. Rabbits etc they are fine on head shots and you don't get much mess but the whole point of the HMR is it stops them on the spot. If I wanted them to run after body shots I'd have bought a .22LR

Don't bother using them on boiler room shots on charlie, they go straight through and don't expand enough. I've shot two both strong runners and didn't shoot any more with them, they ran like deer with chest shots made it into cover then stopped and died.

This was why I got paranoid over shooting foxes with a .17Hmr. I tried both 17grn Hornady and 20grn CCI and found both very unpredictable. In the end I sold the Hmr and bought a .22 Hornet.

G.M.

With head shots on fox upto 100yards (My second zero)iv only ever had 1 result.....

Instant lights out ! Purfect, couldnt ask for any better ! This is using 17GRN BT Hornaday ammo.

With the skull to break the round up and being thicker than any bunny skull am sure the 20GRN HP would work just fine to on Charlie out to 100yards to. Deffinatly give it a try esp if you can buy a box of 50 cheap and form your own opinion. If it does the job for you and your happy with it then use it if you want, it just so happens that 95% of people use the 17GRN BT stuff because they are out for bunnys and thats what is in the rifle when the oppertunistic shot is thrown up on fox. Not many go out with a .17HMR soley to shoot fox. :good:

This was why I got paranoid over shooting foxes with a .17Hmr. I tried both 17grn Hornady and 20grn CCI and found both very unpredictable. In the end I sold the Hmr and bought a .22 Hornet.

G.M.

I'd had close to 30 before that with no runners with the standard vmax, and though I don't like the 20 grains the foxes were dead with an entry and exit would just not enough trauma to drop them straight off. Personally its only used at close ranges in dodgy situations usually unless I'm after cubs where there isn't much better gun wise.