Disinfecting feeders.

• 3 weeks later...

such as...

Check the DEFRA listings - think they show "strengths" on there too.

Virkon's old hat and has done a good job - but tech moves on in disinfectants as well as everything else.

http://disinfectants.defra.gov.uk/Default.aspx?Module=ApprovalsList_SI

Full list. If I'd had diseases or issues in my last season I'd consider my cleaning choices for the upcoming one. Guess I'm just fussy in some respects :yes:

Edited by JustJon

Check the DEFRA listings - think they show "strengths" on there too.

Virkon's old hat and has done a good job - but tech moves on in disinfectants as well as everything else.

http://disinfectants.defra.gov.uk/Default.aspx?Module=ApprovalsList_SI

Full list. If I'd had diseases or issues in my last season I'd consider my cleaning choices for the upcoming one. Guess I'm just fussy in some respects :yes:

Agree things do move on, but I'd very much not agree that Virkon is old hat.

I know nothing about feeders, but I work and manage areas that use BSL CAT2 pathogens and have worked with CAT3 material (IE Rabies, Anthrax, Avian flu), and Virkon is still a recommended agent, you shouldn't be coming across pathogen of this risk level (to human or animal) via feeders.

Virkon is a superb option, I trust it to kill genetically modified E.Coli and other similar evil bugs!

Just remember a hour contact time is needed for full efficacy, not just a 'dip and dry' regime, metals will be eaten away by Virkon, so a dip, rinse and alcohol is best to prevent this.

Also, not being patronising, make sure the dilution is correct, Its amazing how people don't realise that a too weak (obviously) or too strong (not so obvious) solution doesn't woork very well! 1% is adequate for all but the more tenacious nasties.

Edited by kyska