Rimfire Rabbit

coneyhunter

with the sunny weather and me having the day off, i decided to bash some bunnies on a new patch of permission plagued by coneys, checking the rifles zero at 50 yards off the bipod i had a 5 pence piece sized grouping with Eley subs and was confident i would add a few to the freezer.

Unfortunatley for me other wildlife had also decided to hunt the local rabbit population, as i turned the first corner i saw the landowners cat, off all things, jogging off with an adult rabbit in its mouth, i was sure this would spell doom for my trip.

After walking around for 45 mins i was now sure the moggy had ruined my chances of a rabbit, feeling defeat i got ready to walk back to the car but one last scope scan saw one of the offending coneys crouched behind a perfect, safe backstop. It was about 120 yards away and i was taking no chances, crawling through nettles and cow **** i gained a good 70 yards on it, i gently flicked the bipod legs down and lay prone, only to discover the ground was raised, blocking my site.

I had another 30 or so yards to crawl and make ground clearance for the bipod, i managed to do this, the rabbit got wary, pricking its ears off and sitting on its back legs, i decided it was now or never, the bipod and myself went down, this time gaining ground clearance, the safety was flicked off and the trigger gently squeezed.

The small pffft of the subsonic bullet leaving the rimfire and the thud and red mist of a confirmed headshot bowled the rabbit sideways, dead before it touched the ground, the evening was not a waste :D

post-17899-0-17743500-1337636405.jpg

Nice one mate.

I had a look out too tonight with my 22. Got a woodie at 50 yards and a bunny at 30 yards. I know the HMR's will give you far more range but to me there is something very satisfying about close range fieldcraft, the low noise and the low cost of the 22.

Jonathan

Isn't it surprising what we will do in pursuit of our hobby, sometimes just for one lone rabbit, but that adds to the fun of it - Especially when there are loads of fresh wet cow pats to negociate. :lol:

I was sat dead still for nearly two and a half hours with my .22WMR last night behind a dry stone wall waiting for a fox that was surposed to show up at a set time each evening. It's a shame that the fox had not read the script as he gave it a miss yesterday evening, it looks like I will have to bait it as it had been creating havock with the landowners free range chickens! At least it was a warm and sunny evening for a change which still made it better than sitting in front of the TV!

Looking at your photo that was a claassic head shot with perfect bullet placement - straight between the ear and the eye! Well done! :good: