clean kill

philapper

I just knock them on the back of the head with a stick I carry with me. Just make sure that you wack it in the right place and you usally kill it in one blow. I must admit I used to shoot some on the floor thats untill i started to pay for my own ammo!

But there is times when you should shoot them again I had a really poor shot once and one hit the deck and tryed to walk in to the woods I dont have a shooting dog (Yet) so Im shure if I did not it would have got away in the wood wonded.

All the Best :lol:

I have found the most effective way to dispatch pigeons is to spin them while holding the head, allowing the body weight to snap the neck. You have to hold them by the head between your thumb, trigger and index finger. And alow the skin on the neck to twist freely otherwise it can break, causing the head to fall off. This is a similar way to which I dispatch Geese. Pigeons have a fairly weak neck and are dead in a second without any suffering. It's cheaper than shooting them again, it doesn't fill them with lead, and and its quicker than hitting them with anything. Simply pick the bird up by its head one quick flick and bobs your uncle.

I don't need to carry a priest around with me. I can kill a bird quicker using this method than hitting it over the head with anything. If a bird is wounded it normally flaps around and when you do get a hold of it they ofter retract their neck, pulling their head in. when i pick a wounded bird up off the ground or from my dog the first thing i get a hold of is the head. One quick flick and the bird is dead, I've dispatched hundreds of birds in this manor. Once you've mastered the technique its over in a second.

• 4 weeks later...

fold the wings in and run your finger down the spine. you will find a little lump in the area you would describe as the shoulder blades. hold the head up and exert pressure on the lump it will snap and the pigeon is dead.

got this from batley's book it also leaves the pigeon lokking better i.e. no broken neck.

charlie

mate the best & cleanest way to despatch your bird is to hold it fully cupped in your left hand,feel your way down it's breast,just under the end of the bone with your right hand sqeeze very tightly,this will deflate the lung's and the bird will die within second's.

hence less mess & more importantly less suffering to the wounded bird.

regards mark.