My first rabbit

WoodyPopper

I've been wanting a rabbit ever since I got my permission just over a year ago. There haven't been many around and I've only ever had one shot at one. Yesterday evening I found some on what was previously a maize strip between a hedgerow and a field of barley. I started stalking them. Normally, I get spotted before I'm confident that I'm in range.

But yesterday it was going really well, until a fox came walking out of the barley. "Thanks Mrs Fox, I thought, (or words to that effect) as the rabbits scattered. It was a hot afternoon, so I just sat there thinking for a bit. I was amazed when, after about 5 minutes, a rabbit popped out again and started feeding. Then, about 20 yards beyond the rabbit, I saw the fox again. She was stalking it from the other side. I thought I'd better be quick, so I stood up, shot at a sitting rabbit and missed. But it bolted (in the wrong direction from the rabbit's point of view) and I got it cleanly with the second barrel. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw what I thought was another rabbit in the grass nearby. I then saw that it was a fox cub. Then I saw two more and they all started playing. I watched for about 10 minutes. I didn't make much effort to keep still - they weren't the least bothered by me. And they were oblivious to the fact that I'd probably cost them their supper.

There can't have been more than ten yards between where the foxes were playing, and the rabbit holes, so they were neighbours. I don't particularly like my neighbours - and sometimes, if I'm on my way out, I'll wait a bit to avoid meeting them. But, to be fair, they don't ever try to eat me - so I'm surprised the rabbits seemed so happy to go out feeding. Are they just really, really stupid?

Anyway, I cleaned and skinned the rabbit a couple of hours after I got home (maybe 4 hours after I shot it). But I did notice that the meat has a pretty strong, and not very pleasant smell. Is that normal?

rabbits are not stupid, they know a fox in full view will not be able to catch them, so they sit tight, well done on the first bunny with the sgc, i remember mine too, looking back, it was a mess and peppered with shot, but i cleaned and skinned it, then ate it.

i dont even bother picking them up anymore unless they are in prime condition and head shot :yp: (and even then i employ a complex equation involving distance from car, energy levels, actual need for another dead bunny and 'can i be bothered')

Hmmm. Thanks all. I will see how he is when I defrost him. He'll probably end up in the bin. I'm tanning his pelt though - so he won't be completely wasted.

did you cut his anal glands off?, these can stink at times, about the size of a pea, and sort of an off white colour either side of the ****, sort of on the top of the rear legs.

did you cut his anal glands off?, these can stink at times, about the size of a pea, and sort of an off white colour either side of the ****, sort of on the top of the rear legs.

Not absolutely sure. But now you mention it, there was something like that that I cut off.

I think they all have a peculier nauseous smell that lingers on your hands for days if you dont where gloves when gutting them.

I agree. They don't smell too nice, but taste lovely.

This video is annoying but follow it and you will get some lovely rabbit fillets off the saddle. Treat them as a pork fillet and you will enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euKb7hXC9XQ

Scent glands don't taint the meat unless left in place when the rabbit is cooked. They should be nipped out when the carcase is skinned. If yours stank when you picked it up its lower intestines were probably pricked when it was shot.

Lactation does not taint meat; but it does impoverish the animal's condition, dry the meat and thicken the skin.

I believe all meat is spoiled if an animal is shot in a state of stress with its body full of adrenalin. Sniping a sitter, of any species, will produce better meat than bowling over a runner.

I've never shot a rabbit that smelled like I wanted to eat it. I don't know why, they just don't smell nice even when clean shot!

Try the sitting next to a warren trick again, you'll be surprised how quickly they come back out if you sit still and the wind is right. :good:

Get those foxes shot!!

"Answer me now, as one gentleman to another. Do ye shoot foxes or do ye not?".....

"I do not". He was still gurgling.

"Then you must sack your keeper. He's not fit to live in the same county with a God-fearin' fox. An' a vixen, too - at this time o' year!" - "In Ambush" from Stalky & Co. by Rudyard Kipling - 1899.

BTW, added as a talking point, not as any criticism :)