Cocking trouble

Schmoo

Having got my FAC thru the post last week after only 9 weeks, fantastic job Sussex police.

I duely went out and got myself a nice little BRNO mod 2 made on 1981.

Superb bit of kit and at only £140 including a barrell shortning, re-thread and parker hale mod a steal.

Everyting was fine when I first took it out, but it did on occassion not cock properly, which mean I had to cycle the bolt again spend 10 mins trying to find the ejected unfired round and carry on.

Took it out last night same again.

My question is it has been stripped and clean, a light oiling was applied:

is it something I might have done

do I need to be more brutal when cocking, as i try and do this slowly and quietly as not to spook anything close by

or is it something in the rifle its self that re-cocks the bolt.

any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Schmoo.

Having got my FAC thru the post last week after only 9 weeks, fantastic job Sussex police.

I duely went out and got myself a nice little BRNO mod 2 made on 1981.

Superb bit of kit and at only £140 including a barrell shortning, re-thread and parker hale mod a steal.

Everyting was fine when I first took it out, but it did on occassion not cock properly, which mean I had to cycle the bolt again spend 10 mins trying to find the ejected unfired round and carry on.

Took it out last night same again.

My question is it has been stripped and clean, a light oiling was applied:

is it something I might have done

do I need to be more brutal when cocking, as i try and do this slowly and quietly as not to spook anything close by

or is it something in the rifle its self that re-cocks the bolt.

any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Schmoo.

What calibre is it,is it not ejecting the round if so probably the claws in the bolt,strip it and clean i had this on my .22 and my mate did,just the claw full of wax and ohter ****,

hope this helps

Its a .22lr

It ejects the spent shells, or at the moment the unspent shells everytime.

Its the cocking of the bolt that doesnt seem to happen everytime, which is a pain as I have to re-cycle the bolt and this sends an unfired round out on the floor, and by the time i have done that the quarry has ******** off,

Schmoo

It sound very much like the sear isn't engaging all the time which could indicate that something may be worn.

This means that sometimes when you cock the bolt the sear doesn't engage and allows the firing pin to move forward. Whilst it may be inconvenient at the moment, it could turn into a full blown disaster if the bolt catches and then slips, as this will cause the gun the discharge, and someone could get hurt.

Get it back to the gun dealer and ask him to sort it out before someone is killed.. :o

G.M.

Edited by Graham M

It sound very much like the sear isn't engaging all the time which could indicate that something may be worn.

This means that sometimes when you cock the bolt the sear doesn't engage and allows the firing pin to move forward. Whilst it may be inconvenient at the moment, it could turn into a full blown disaster if the bolt catches and then slips, as this will cause the gun the discharge, and someone could get hurt.

Get it back to the gun dealer and ask him to sort it out before someone is killed.. :o

G.M.

What Graham says ^^^^^^^^^^

get it looked at, the bolt should re-cock by just lifting the handle up without drawing it back, either it's not lifting high enough and caming back round as you close or the sear is not engaging properly

The trigger has no creep that I am aware of.

When I remove the bolt and hold it in my hand, as I raise and lower the bolt handle while holding the bolt firmly in my hand the firing pin sticks ot and then when i move the bolt handle the firing pin retracts back inside.

When I go to close the bolt in the gun,it is as if the firing pin cant decide wether to protrude rewards so it is cocked or slide forwards ( which means I have to recock it perhaps more than once) pain as it ejects a live everytime I do.

Is it the bolt itself that resets, or is there something in the gun and recocks the firing pin within the bolt, if I slide the bolt back really hard it seems to be ok, but i dont think I should be treating it like this, I dont know if i have done something when i stripped the bolt and gave it a clean and light oiling.

Any help would be great.

Thanks for your replies fuys.

Schmoo.

As said, it cocks when the bolt handle is raised, you should see the hammer at the end of the bolt move backwards towards you as the handle is raised after firing a shot. If it doesn't cock you shouldn't need to recycle the bolt, just raise the handle fully, then push it down again.

I would take it back however, I also think that something is worn (or possibly someone could have done a bad trigger job), it won't be a big job to mend it, but let the shop you bought it from sort it out, it's their responsibility. You don't want a round firing off accidentally.

I popped it into the gun shop this morning and collected it all done at lunchtime.

It needed a small about of honing on one of the sears, it had a small mark on its face and the trigger sear was snagging up on it, now once cocked and fired, as soon as the bolt is raised I can see the trigger jump forward and the sears click bck into place.

So happy days all sorted. :rolleyes::good:

Schmoo.

I popped it into the gun shop this morning and collected it all done at lunchtime.

It needed a small about of honing on one of the sears, it had a small mark on its face and the trigger sear was snagging up on it, now once cocked and fired, as soon as the bolt is raised I can see the trigger jump forward and the sears click bck into place.

So happy days all sorted. :rolleyes::good:

Schmoo.

Glad it's sorted, but to re-cock it there is no need to eject the round, just lift and lower the bolt knob, at most it only need the bolt to move a fraction

back, maybe 2 or 3 mm. It should just re-cock by lifting the bolt knob, but some need that fraction of movement as well.

Neil. :)

Glad it's sorted, but to re-cock it there is no need to eject the round, just lift and lower the bolt knob, at most it only need the bolt to move a fraction

back, maybe 2 or 3 mm. It should just re-cock by lifting the bolt knob, but some need that fraction of movement as well.

Neil. :)

Yes when I raise the bolt the sears engage and when I lower the bolt again, hey presto it cocks ready.

Schmoo.

Sounds good Schmoo - Nice accurate little rifle - just don't get carried away dry-firing it now it does click :)

Ok mate I will bear that in mind.

She seems to be a cracking piece of kit, seems rugged build quality, not the prettiest but more than fit for purpose.

I love it, will get myself a 17hmr version once funds allow.

Thanks for your input.

Schmoo.