Good glass on a rimfire?

apache

I have a couple of rimfires with 'cheap' scopes on them (1 is a Hawke and one an AGS). It was all I could afford at the time and both have held zero and been responsible for ~5000 bunnies deaths. My three CF rifles have Zeiss scopes.

I recently purchased a nice set of Zeiss RF binoculars and took them out the other night bunny bashing. Got so frustrating as light began to fade as I could clearly see bunnies with the bins but had no hope in hell of seeing them through the scope.

In a dilemma whether to 'upgrade' the RF scopes.

Interested in people's thoughts.

i used all types of cheap scopes and like yourself struggled to see at dusk. you defo ain`t going to hit if you can`t see it clearly. bought leupolds and whilst not the most expensive give me good sight pics. buy the best you can afford.you won`t regret it

i will second that :thumbs: :stupid:

At the end of the day (no pun intended), it's down to the depth of one's pocket and personal preference. For the rimfire, I wouldn't fork out a fortune. As long as I can see clearly out to 100 yards (usually way, way beyond that but it's not applicable here) in daylight and between 70 and 100 dependent upon which lamp is in use in the dark that'll do me. On the rare occasions that I pack up at dusk I must concede it'll be a few minutes earlier than if I owned a top of the range model. If, as is normal, I'm shooting through, I'll take the opportunity to have a breather while it darkens down ready for the lamp.

I had the same problem as apache with my wee rimfire, the hawke scope i originally put on the rifle just wasn't doing the buisness especially at dawn/dusk.It was fine during the day but the bins were picking up quarry long after the scope was useless.

I kept a look out for ages and finally got an older model swarovski habicht 6x42 and haven't looked back.

I use swaro optics on my stalking rifles but when I bought the 22lr I didn't feel I'd benefit much from using higher end on the rimfire...how wrong was I.

Like many things you generally get what you pay for and optics are definately in this classification.

I would have saved myself some cash just saving a bit more & buying a higher end scope from the start rather than buying/selling/losing money & buying again.False economy really.

I have a couple of rimfires with 'cheap' scopes on them (1 is a Hawke and one an AGS). It was all I could afford at the time and both have held zero and been responsible for ~5000 bunnies deaths. My three CF rifles have Zeiss scopes.

I recently purchased a nice set of Zeiss RF binoculars and took them out the other night bunny bashing. Got so frustrating as light began to fade as I could clearly see bunnies with the bins but had no hope in hell of seeing them through the scope.

In a dilemma whether to 'upgrade' the RF scopes.

Interested in people's thoughts.

A good tip for life is try to get the Same specification of your scope as you have on your binoculars, that why when you transition from one to the other you hopefully have a (Pretty much) identical sight picture.

Anyways, you are asking stupid questions because you obviously want to spend some cash, if it's that issue don't spend too much. How much do you want to spend?