car battery advice

artschool

right, my wife decided to leave some of the electrics on in my pathfinder last night and now the battery is stone dead.

I have another car but no jump leads.

whats the best option? buy jumps leads? take the battery to a garage to get charged?

it's brand new.

any advice appreciated.

Edited by artschool

hi mate, jump leads will start the car and driving it round will put some charge back into it. giving the battery a full re charge is the best way though usualy a trickle charge overnight. make sure you have your radio code before removing the battery as you probably need to re-enter it when it is back on. :good:

Ask a neighbour or a friend to lend you jump leads :good:

Or get yourself one of those battery packs which you can jump start from and recharge your battery, come in handy and you don't need another car.

Edited by Cosd

Cool, thanks guys. will go to halfords today :good:

I seem to remember that my motorbike wouldn't charge without moving. is it the same with a car battery?

Don't know anything about motorbikes, the car will charge on idle, but will charge quicker if the engine speed is faster than idle, so you either drive the car or sit there with your foot on the accelerator in the driveway

I would just buy a cheap and cheerful battery charger, leave the battery connected to the car so dont have to reset clock and everything and just charge it over night. Also pick up some jump leads while you are there as it never hurts to have some in the boot incase your not at home if it happens again. If the battery is stone dead it will take quite a bit of driving or leaving on idle to charge it.

Both mine and the missuses car have jump leads and a tow rope in, they have been used more helping other people out than we have used them ourselves.

All modern alternators have regulators in reving your car to 5000rpm will charge it no quicker than 1500rpm.

Edited by ferguson_tom

I would do as ferguson_tom suggests, buy a trickle charger and pick up some jump leads in the future. They don't cost much, overnight should be enough to get it going again.

He's also correct that revving beyond around 1500 won't make it charge quicker, but it will allow you to use lots more fuel for no gain.