Nice Ladies gun?

Andy75

guys and gals,

I'm after a nice lightweight, gentle hitting scattergun for the good lady wife - she really fancies a go at some pottery hunting, and doesn't like the kick from my 12's at all.

Ideally I'd like to swap or part-ex my Rizzini for a tidy O/U 16, but not sure whats good at the cheap end of this scale. The missus may well get bored of it and I'll have to move it on, so something with a resale value might be good too! :lol:

Many thanks for any help. ;)

Andy.

It would probably be worth you looking at the Lincoln 16b as a budget gun http://www.shotguns-rifles.co.uk/nickerson/s010e16.htm. I'd been looking at 16-bores recently, but decided to stick with 12s and 20s because I couldn't find any 16b cartridges in clay loads. I usually shoot at High Lodge in Suffolk, who get very stroppy if you use anything loaded with shot larger than 7.5. However, I heard really encouraging things about 16s.

If you are looking at 20b OUs, you really cannot beat a Beretta Silver Pigeon/687 series (which pains me to say, being firmly in the Browning camp). They are hugely popular with ladies, for good reason. My other half uses one, and shoots well with it. Berettas have a much better resale reputation than Lincoln/Macnabs, and are lighter than the comparable Browning/Miroku 20b OUs.

My wife had the same problem, she looked at 20's, but someone suggested a 12G semi-auto. This has worked out really well, there is no noticable recoil as most of the energy is used up recycling the cartridges.

It is also very light and they are less expensive that o/u'.s

We don't have to buy bulk quantities of different cartridges and can both stick to the cheaper 12G.

I now take it pigeon shooting as well, because it is much lighter and handier that my o/u. Well worth considering and giving it a try.

The main drawbacks are that some clay grounds don't like semi's (it is not as easy to see when they are loaded) and they are a no no for game. Also, a semi auto doesn't sound like a "nice ladies gun".

Got mine (sorry Tina's) from a gunshop near you (probably) in Rugby.

Cheers

Malcolm

I had a shot with Lincoln Jubilee 20bore, in fact the one owned by PW's very own Sargeant Bang and that is a very nice gun. It has 'game' stock straight hand(?) well not monte carlo anyway so very slender. If you are on a budget I would look at one of those, if not go with Baldrick and get the Beretta.

My son has the Lincoln Premier which is the cheaper version and shoots very well with it, which can be a bit :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions so far chaps!

As for using my semi, as she is new to guns and will be starting from scratch, I'd rather she didn't start off with that sort of action really.

Had a look at the lincolns - crikey not as cheap as I'd hoped! :lol: Anyone got one for sale?

Had a look at the lincolns - crikey not as cheap as I'd hoped! :lol: Anyone got one for sale?

They don't go that much Andy, most of the prices you may have seen will be RRP, i got one for for £395 froma shop ans was agood as new, and Sarg got his for the same as part of a deal and it is better than mine

I don't know what your Rizzinni would be worth, but there are lots of good new 20 gauge options out there for under £1000, Beretta Silver Pigeon, Lanber Field, Lincoln Premier M/C, check out www.guntrader.co.uk for some ideas.

Good condition seconhand ones will be even cheaper.

One word of caution, a lot of the cheaper priced 20 gauges have fixed chokes (you want m/c) and 30" barrels (you want 28").