Browning Maxus

sja90

Hi,

Looking for a new pigeon and clay gun and pretty tempted by the Browning Maxus, any of you guys have any experience with this that could let me know your thoughts?

In the past I have always shot O/U but I can see the benefits of a semi auto, particularly on the pigeons.

This brings me onto the second part of my question, barrel length, 26", 28" or 30", particularly given that the semi auto workings of the maxus make it a longer gun anyway by an inch or so, I am wondering what people think is the best barrel length to consider, particularly as it will be used in a hide.

Many thanks,

Simon

Over all they are good guns.

I didnt get on with mine and I couldnt get it to fit me properly either.

As for length, its personal preference, I had the 3.5" chambered synthetic version with a 28" barrel which was nearly as long as a 32" o/u.

Saying that, I think a 30" barrel maxus would handle better. But that's just my personal opinion.

Edited by chrispti

I have a Browning Fusion, which is quite similar in shape to the Maxus. Even with the 26" barrel its longer than my other semi auto which has a 28" barrel! You can imagine how much longer it is than my Beretta Onyx with 28" barrels. If you want to stay close to O/U length, get as short as you can source, 26" or even 25/24 if you can find one. The Maxus's are great guns, and the only reason I got a Fusion instead was the lack of funds!

I have a Maxus Hunter in 28" flavour, must be getting on for a year now and so far it's been faultless. I looked at a few semi-autos when I was buying but as soon as I picked it up and shouldered it I knew it was the one for me. If you can get on with it, and some clearly don't, then you won't go far wrong as far as autos are concerned.

Hi,

Looking for a new pigeon and clay gun and pretty tempted by the Browning Maxus, any of you guys have any experience with this that could let me know your thoughts?

In the past I have always shot O/U but I can see the benefits of a semi auto, particularly on the pigeons.

This brings me onto the second part of my question, barrel length, 26", 28" or 30", particularly given that the semi auto workings of the maxus make it a longer gun anyway by an inch or so, I am wondering what people think is the best barrel length to consider, particularly as it will be used in a hide.

Many thanks,

Simon

ive been using a maxus on the pigeons for over a year now and love it,ive used loads of different autos over the years but the maxus just fits me right and wouldnt swop it for anything else out there at the minute.it all boils down to fit.and it dont matter how expensive your gun is,if it doesnt feel right you wont shoot well with it.i put over 200 shells off assorted makes through it on sat and no probs,although i never us anything less than 67mm be it 28gm or 63mm,no probs.the speed load comes into its own on busy pigeon sessions.i use a 30"barrel witch comes out about 3" longer than my 30" o/u but the longer barrel suits me and its no problem in a hide as you load it upright anyway.great gun :good:

I have the maxus sporting Carbon in 32" barrel and fac 5 shot

Its brilliant, fires all sizes of carts

Never jammed

minimal recoil

superfast follow up shots

very light

looks good in the pigeons or at a clay ground

not overly expensive

Drawbacks? havent found one yet, mine came with all sorts of stock adjustment gizzmos, but it fitted me straight out of the box...superb bit of kit 10/10 :good: :good: :good: :good:

Actually there is one drawback to the 32"...i HAVE TO TILT IT TO GET IT IN THE GUN CUPBAORD!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is the Maxus supplied with a cartridge catcher, a wire clipped on to the side of the reciever (on u-tube). If so does any one know how they work :unsure: ?, deflecting the cart' down or just holding it in situ' I have a Maxus, in duck blind, comming through end of next week to chew over :hmm: , Gel.

Is the Maxus supplied with a cartridge catcher, a wire clipped on to the side of the reciever (on u-tube). If so does any one know how they work :unsure: ?, deflecting the cart' down or just holding it in situ' I have a Maxus, in duck blind, comming through end of next week to chew over :hmm: , Gel.

No.

Never seen or heard of this ''cartridge catcher'' either :hmm: Could you put up a link to the video :hmm:

No.

Never seen or heard of this ''cartridge catcher'' either :hmm: Could you put up a link to the video :hmm:

"browning maxus shotgun review with the yankee cowboy" Thats about as near as I can get to a link c :blush: , the guy calls it a shell catcher but does not say if you have to remove the shell before refiring or whether the shell just gets deflected downwards. Sorry for my ignorance c, Gel.

"browning maxus shotgun review with the yankee cowboy" Thats about as near as I can get to a link c :blush: , the guy calls it a shell catcher but does not say if you have to remove the shell before refiring or whether the shell just gets deflected downwards. Sorry for my ignorance c, Gel.

Its an after market (home made?) addition.

He says it catches the shell for when hes trap shooting, so it stops the guy next to him getting hit by the ejected empty. He will only be using 2 shots anyway.